225/45 instead of 215/45 - Softer Ride?

I am not sure what you expected. You should put a 225 tire on a 8" rim if you want a comparable sidewall feeling against a 215 tire on a 7.5" rim.

It's totally fine to use it Ofc, but it has its downsides. I am running Federal FZ201 on the original 7.5" speedlines, because I have the rims, not because I think it's a good match. The sidewalls on these are stiff af tho.

Depends on what you want to invest and what can you make out of it.
For me, I can make time improvements more on training and driving better than getting a wider rim especially for the track tires.

As my summer and track-rain tires I run 225 on a 8" wheel, which is perfect. Also had softer and harder sidewall tires on these, the difference in feel was not THAT much, compared to the stiffness change you would've expected just by the tires. I run a pretty stiff suspension setup though.

Not sure what I wanted to say with all this, maybe just to aim for more realistic expectations in regards on your changes

I have to say though, always trust your feeling of course. If it feels better to you, roll with it. In the end we're all about the fun here

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DS197 and av4625
I hadn’t run 215 before the 225’s. I bought the car and started to build it for sprints on a budget. 225’s where cheaper, I thought wider would be better at the time and 225 on 7.5j is “fine”, so I went with them. Just feel after going that direction 215’s would feel pointier. But as you say not make enough difference to invest in new wheels and/or tyres.

Wondering whether changing the tyres from 215/45 to 225/45 will make the ride les harsh.

As the sidewall is higher it should in theory mean a softer ride but hoping to learn real world experience form people who actually done this.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's more about an actual tyre type (stiffer sidewall etc) than size. I went from stock tires to Advan AD08R in 225/45R17 and it made virtually no ride difference...