225/45/17 toyo r888

How can the tyre width gear up the car? surely that's the diameter? Is it because of more friction or something

/confused

its because the 45 stands for the percentage of the width of the tyre not the actual measurement of the height of the sidewall, hence 225/45/17 giving a larger radius than 215/45/17 :smile:

because if you read through, 215 isnt available atm, and they are slighty cheaper :smile:

I work in the tyre business. 225 is perfectly fine on a 7.5J rim. Also it does "gear up" by 1.4%, which is bugger all really. Wouldnt advise anything that exceeds 2.5% either way (bigger smaller) in an ideal world.

To the guy who mentioned theyre going to slow down acceleration/weigh slightly more. The same could be said if you ate a rather large breakfast.
Are you really going to be able to tell the difference? Honestly?

Thanks for the input guys :smile:

I've got 225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1's on mine and can't tell the difference. Still drives like it did on the 215's and significantly cheaper on the pocket, not to mention it also protects the alloys with a more protruding sidewall so I can't actually kerb them :smile:

i run a clio 197 with kw coilovers, went on my first track day with the clio at silverston few weeks back, i had mums old worn yoko a048 off the back of here lotus exige, so they are 225/45/17's! i was little worried cos i have the car set very low on the coilovers and also my track wheel are 8 inch wide and et 45 so as wide as my normal clio wheels running 25mm spacers!

the rear never cought at all, the front cought a little but nothing major, just worn away a little on the bumper so wont do it now:smile: if i raised suspension a little would have been fine!

I have a 197 with H&R springs. 25mm wheel spacers all round. Will 225/45/17
R888's be ok with no rubbing?

Cheers