215/45/17 with ET 45 - Fitment issue

Hi everyone!

This has probably been answered before but here is my problem:

I installed H&R lowering springs together with a set of used AUTEC Wizards, with tire size: 225 / 45R17, on my Clio 3 RS (2011). See attached photos.

I would like to replace the tires with a set of semi-slicks with tire size: 215 / 45R17. Since i live in Germany, i have to register it to the technical inspection association (TUV).

As you can see from the photos, the tire-wheel arch spacing is relatively tight in the front. For the wheels to be accepted by the TUV, the distance has to be one finger width when the car is up on a curb. An expert said it is relatively unlikely to be accepted with 215. Did you have any similar problems in the UK? Should i risk buying the 215 tires and try to register them?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best,

George

Attachments

• IMG_2205.JPG
    IMG_2205.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2207.jpg
    IMG_2207.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
We don't have these requirements in UK, TUV is soooo much stricter that UK MOTs!
I think it's a combination of bigger sidewall (as 225 vs 215 on a 45 aspect is 4.5mm less in each sidewall) and also H&R springs are one of the lower springs, compared to Eibach ones for example.
Track tyres also seem to run a bit wider normally, so a 215 sometimes can be as wide as a 225 for some companies and stiffer sideways so they sit "square" filling arches more.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on what would work / TUV requirements as I have never had to abide by them and don't want to give you false information.

PS your car looks lovely.

215 are the correct size you should have on the car.
These should pass TÜV, and will give you more clearance than 225.

225 look as though they may be an issue, because you’ve fitted lowering spring and lower offset wheels.

I tried a 225 fitment on front and it was horrible on the 7.5" rim. Can't remember if I dropped to a 40 profile though, which I suspect I did.

The sidewall on those pics looks particularly tall. Some tyres come up wider and taller than others. I'd go to a 215/45 profile as said above.

Thank you for the comments guys. @J90RDN dropping to a 40 profile is not allowed in Germany. You are allowed at most ±3% deviation from the tire profile so that the tachometer shows a correct reading. @RSRowe problem is i have increased offset and have the low springs which reduces the wheel arch - tyre distance. i put a 215 tyre in the 225 rim and will go to the TUV to see what they say. @suj how much higher is the side profile in the semislicks? do you think that will be a problem?

• Wow
Reactions: sysak
Dropping to a 215/40/17 is only 2.21% difference not more than 3%?

Sorry I don't know what the difference is, as each tyre can be so different.

Your biggest issue is the standard wheel is 68 offset and so at 45 you have moved the wheel 23mm outwards. There is potential arch liner rubbing just on the standard wheels with 225 tyres. I expect your semi slick tyre is going to be wider, or at least as wide, as a 225 road tyre. So you need to judge it on how difficult it is to pass now.

Can't believe their unit of measurement is "one finger", can you get a guy with a small finger lol

I run the front of my car pretty low on standard wheels, with 225/45 R888R's with 20mm wheel spacers, mine probably wouldn't pass the one finger rule, but I am on coilovers, so a bit lower than springs

Can't believe their unit of measurement is "one finger", can you get a guy with a small finger lol

I run the front of my car pretty low on standard wheels, with 225/45 R888R's with 20mm wheel spacers, mine probably wouldn't pass the one finger rule, but I am on coilovers, so a bit lower than springs

Registering modifications in Germany can be a huge pain and costs a lot. Tomorrow i am also registering a Recaro Pole Position for which there is no official parts certificate. That should be fun as well...

At https://tiresize.com/comparison/ you or https://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html can check the sizes 215/45 vs 225/45.
You could go 225/40 but this will give more rotations per km/mile and exaggerate the real speed. 225/45 will be spot on with speedo/GPS speed (so watch out when driving past trafic radar)

I have stock wheels with KW lowering suspension kit, no spacers, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - 225/45R17, no rubbing.
I will go back to the 215, the reason is this will likely give better steering response. My personal experience with all brands FWD hot hatches I have owned, worked on, wider tires will provide more grip but reduce steering sensitivity.