2008 197 CUP springs

Clio went into Two Techs friday for some brakes and other bits and they found that my drivers side front spring has broken 2/3 of the top coil. Currently the car seems to be unaffected and still drives great but has got me thinking.

Im in two minds... Having owned numerous modified cars I personally I think the standard set up is fantastic, but potentially am looking at this as an opportunity to potentially make her even better. At the moment she is completely standard (bar a panel filter) and the biggest thing weighing on my mind is the hassle of insuring a modified car. Being a more mature/older/fatter owner with 10+ years NCB, I have a multi car insurance for the clio and my truck and am pretty sure they dont insure modified cars so dont really want to go down that path.

However I potentially might chance it, if I could find a replacement spring set up that was black like standard, better ratings but only lowered the car if any by a fraction (say 10mm max).

Just wondered if anybody knew if such existed or could recommend anything?

Failing that - please drop me a PM if you have any front Cup springs from a 2008 197 CUP sitting in your garage.

Cheers

Fishy

Have a look at this thread for some options on aftermarket suspension set ups. There are a few.

OEM Cup springs are ~£100 per side brand new iirc. Aftermarket ones might work out cheaper for a full set if you did decide to go down that route.

I had the same problem. Renault wanted £130+ for a cup spring so I fitted a set of eibachs. I'm very happy with the new setup

Hi [MENTION=50617]FISHBOY[/MENTION] I was in the same posite on as you 3-4 weeks ago mate, my o s f spring had snapped at the bottom and as you said, did not seem to affect the suspension /car in anyway, I only noticed when I was changing the gearbox oil. I ended up buying a set of cooksport springs of a member on here for £100, and liked the way the suspension was standard! So was worried lowering it would affect it for the worst! I was wrong the cooksport springs make the car sit well and I am just back from a 500 - 600 mile all round trip from Yorkshire and the clio felt amazing on the road. So I would say go for it. And the cooksport springs are a 30mm drop.

Cheers guys

Lol must admit ive read that thread from start to finish and really still cant decide. AST set up looks good but the car only gets used once a week if that.

Im not looking for a drop in ride height, and dont want to make her twitchy - so I suppose I will just have to go with a standard cup spring.

Anyone know if springs should be changed in pairs? Or old and new should be fine?

LOL - my big worry is when the springs come off I find another problem like a leaking shock...

I would def change the 2 springs at the same time bud. Gives you peace of mind! You don't want a good spring and a weak one.

I would def change the 2 springs at the same time bud. Gives you peace of mind! You don't want a good spring and a weak one.

Yeah thats what I thought...

Gonna try sourcing a pair here first then might just have to be the Eiback Pro springs all round seeing as they are black and only give a 20mm drop

attachment.php
attachment.php
@ fishboy this is how my car sits on the cooksport springs. Soz a never put a pic up sooner.

Cheers - looks good.

Thing is, can def tell by the rear its been dropped - boring I know but I just want mine to look standard - especially with the 1.2 Grande badge on the back :smile: