200 Xenon group buy?

Agree to a certain extent, HIDs definitely shouldn't be fitted unless you have projector lenses as they're dangerous to other road users.

However, properly aligned HIDs aren't a problem as long as the driver has the common sense to use the leveling switch when there's weight in the back.

I have HIDs in mine with projectors and aligned properly, never had anyone flash me

Exactly, which is why I'm talking about using projectors as well.

They are not suitable to be used without projectors, as the scatter is dangerous.
Used with projectors, they won't fail an MOT.

Last edited:
Cant honestly say hid kits are anything like factory fit. I think they are legal bur very dangerous to oncoming traffic.

Ok HID in standard headlights is simply dangerous and previous poster here who has them please at least get an MOT test centre to check the beam.

GAZ You cant compare xenon's to xenon bulbs the light ouput is far lower i agree that you can still achieve the look but actual output isnt a huge amount higher in fact Osram nightbreaker kicks all the xenon style bulbs in the nuts!

If you wish to fit HID's then OP has looked into the best and safest way to do it,

Pete

Yep, I do, cos i got them, and they work...otherwise I wouldnt have posted it. Dont dismiss it until you have viewed them.

As above, the output is completely different, and can't be compared. If you're happy having something that 'looks the part' at a casual glance, fine.

I'm not, I'd rather do it correctly and I'm happy to pay what it costs.

Ok HID in standard headlights is simply dangerous and previous poster here who has them please at least get an MOT test centre to check the beam.

GAZ You cant compare xenon's to xenon bulbs the light ouput is far lower i agree that you can still achieve the look but actual output isnt a huge amount higher in fact Osram nightbreaker kicks all the xenon style bulbs in the nuts!

If you wish to fit HID's then OP has looked into the best and safest way to do it,

Pete

it seems to be the only legal route though surely? you could have your car PG 9'd on the spot for after market HIDS, and then a quick call to your insurance company to see if you have declared the modification which obv wont have been done then your looking at insurance offences...for the look, an aftermarket bulb in projector light will suffice...for brightness then yeah HID's but my bulbs have certainly improved distance i can see to the point where i can reduce the level height by 2 clicks now

Aftermarket HIDs aren't illegal though so you won't be getting points etc. Also, gaz have you declared your uprated bulbs to your insurance company? As a HID kit is no different, it's just uprated bulbs

it seems to be the only legal route though surely? you could have your car PG 9'd on the spot for after market HIDS, and then a quick call to your insurance company to see if you have declared the modification which obv wont have been done then your looking at insurance offences...for the look, an aftermarket bulb in projector light will suffice...for brightness then yeah HID's but my bulbs have certainly improved distance i can see to the point where i can reduce the level height by 2 clicks now

If you have projector units, brighter bulbs (wether xenon or other) will not improve the distance covered by the beam. They will increase the intensity of light within the coverage, but they do not increase the coverage.

Yes bulbs with a higher output will increase the distance you can see, unless of course you have them aimed down at the road

If you have projector units, brighter bulbs (wether xenon or other) will not improve the distance covered by the beam. They will increase the intensity of light within the coverage, but they do not increase the coverage.

Yes bulbs with a higher output will increase the distance you can see, unless of course you have them aimed down at the road

I'm an Electrician, and have fitted a hell of a lot of light fittings over the the years, mainly in factories of varying heights.

Brown Bear is correct, increased output doesn't instantly mean increased distance.

Increased output will mean greater insensity of light in its range, but increased distance is down to how the light is focused.

Think about a Maglite. When you twist the end, it refocusses the reflector around the bulb, and changes the shape of the light being emitted.

Ultimately, non OEM HID kits are fairly pointless, and illegal. The fact the law isn't enforced well enough, and MOT stations are too stupid to pick up on it often enough isn't the point. Unless declared, the same as with ANY mod (including non OEM air filters etc), your insurance is void as well.

Be considerate, be legal.

Last edited:
I know many people who have got 3points for having HID's, Like said above they are illagal and the police are clamping down in people who use them,

I think we're greying the edges in here a little.

HID's fitted in a non-projector unit are indeed dangerous and would fail an MOT etc etc due to the beam scatter. I 100% agree those should be clamped down on and points issued etc.

BUT,

HID's fitted in a projector unit will project the same beam pattern that the halogen units did that the car was fitted with in the factory. These type (so long as fitted correctly) are not dangerous and will not fail an MOT (unless the tester is being stupidly picky)- I mean he'd have to know HID's weren't standard on a 200, but they were an option on the 197's...would he know this? Probably not.

Same applies to the police really, how would they know it was an aftermarket kit?

Warren (Brown Bear) is suggesting the safest method of reto-fitting a HID kit to the 200.

Safer in a projector perhaps. But you don't get headlight washers, or self levelling lights. These are both legal requirements for a HID systemto be put on the road.

Therefore illegal.

Apologies, a touch harsh perhaps. But I think after Market figment of things like this are a genuine hazard.

Just one thing - auto levellers and washers only legally have to be fitted to a car that left the factory with a HID system fitted. Believe me I have looked into it - alot.

Best of luck with this Warren but I feel it wont progress far on here.

Last edited:
Cheers fella. Didn't expect such a debate. As varlski confirmed, due to the design of projectors the intensity is whats varied with a 'brighter' bulb, not the area illuminated, I do know a thing or 2 about lenses/illumination :wink:.

Anyhow, I'm getting this done, anyone else feel free to add to the list. If not, don't bother!

Aftermarket HIDs aren't illegal though so you won't be getting points etc. Also, gaz have you declared your uprated bulbs to your insurance company? As a HID kit is no different, it's just uprated bulbs

come back when you know what you are on about. They arent uprated they are the same H7 bulb with same output rating. And yes using HID on vehicles on a public road without washer jets ans self levellers is illegal and a physical modification as it uprates the output of the headlights from the manufacturers design.

Last edited:
come back when you know what you are on about. They arent uprated they are the same H7 bulb with same output rating. And yes using HID on vehicles on a public road without washer jets ans self levellers is illegal and a physical modification as it uprates the output of the headlights from the manufacturers design.

my bulbs have certainly improved distance i can see to the point where i can reduce the level height by 2 clicks now
So the colour of the bulbs has increased the distance you can see? Despite them being projectors?