200 transmission noise

Hey peeps,

So the Clio has done 650 miles in the past 2 weeks so I took it out for its first country road session today :smiley:

First things first, it's absolutely stunning to drive and going from a Twingo RS, the speed and power delivery difference is genuinely scary, going to have to take it easy for a while until I get used to it :smile:

Something is bugging me though, in every gear when I'm off the throttle, i can hear what I think is a transmission noise and wanted to know if it's normal.

It's not a rattle, it's not the characteristic transmission whine from a race car, it sounds more like something is loose. It sounds similar to when a gear crunches but it's constant. As soon as I get back on the throttle it disappears almost immediately.

Gear box seems fine, it changes super fast when giving it the beans and round town i have no issues.

Any ideas? Any suggestions/help mucho appreciated!

Something is bugging me though, in every gear when I'm off the throttle, i can hear what I think is a transmission noise and wanted to know if it's normal.

It's not a rattle, it's not the characteristic transmission whine from a race car, it sounds more like something is loose. It sounds similar to when a gear crunches but it's constant. As soon as I get back on the throttle it disappears almost immediately.

Im pretty sure i know what your talking about here as i noticed it with mine and wondered the same question.

Seems to me like its a normal noise the car makes....its almost like the gearbox is whurring isnt it? Like a whurry chafe chafe chafe whurrrrrrrrrr.

yeah i noticed that the first day i got mine.. aparantley its just standard :/ really does wind me up because i fear its just killing the gearbox

Thanks for the replies guys, it's at least put my mind at rest to know that it's not just mine!

DanT,

Yep, it's like a mechanical whirring sound :smile:

Will try and get a video of it at some point so we can compare whirring noises lol

Thanks for the replies guys, it's at least put my mind at rest to know that it's not just mine!

DanT,

Yep, it's like a mechanical whirring sound :smile:

Will try and get a video of it at some point so we can compare whirring noises lol

No problem mate, glad to be of service!

my car is only 8 weeks old and mine made the same noise from new

This is good to know. Must be just the RS sign :wink:

....definately normal.....I think it has something to do with the shape of the teeth on the gears......

Mine does it, had new box due to syncro and new one does it as well. So it's a general thing the box does.

Think I may have the same thing, makes you wonder if the gearbox is really ok?

Anyone got a video or recording with this sound on just to put me at ease?

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y297/Graeme_R34/?action=view&current=transmissionnoise.mp4

I get the same thing on both clios, took a clip from video i had which i think shows the noise. Mostly notice it when your not on the throttle, your right. Its like its not 100 locked into gear, like its slipping in and out.

Not related but Im getting a new box for the 200 this week. 197 went though a box quickly, now at 11,500 on the 200 and its getting the same problem the old car did. Crunching into gear (4th). Gearboxs seem a bit fragile.

Does sound the same as mine, I can hear it inside with the windows up is that kind of volume normal?

Its one of those things that you dont notice when test driving or for a week or so after getting it and then when you do its a bit of a shock so just needed to clear that up!

quite a few things can cause a gearbox to produce a "whine" and its not always a terminal problem

you can get excessive "back-lash" (too much free play in the transmission) which varies when the transmission is under load or not

play in bearings which again varies if its under load or not

noisey differentials that when they are dividing the drive make a noise

general wear and tear as a lot of the workings of the gearbox are down to friction and high internal loads

missing teeth can cause noise and ultimately result in gearbox failure

low oil level or wrong grade can also contribute

you can also pick up road noise transmitted in to the gearbox from the tyres/wheels/hubs/driveshafts

Same noise as mine to. It did bother me a little at first but then i found out it was normal so kind of forgotten about it since.

Given that your car is so new, if you are at all concerned about it get the dealer to go out with you and confirm that it is a "characteristic". While many people seem to have a similar noise, it is difficult to verify without being there, so no harm in checking.

whilst this noise does appear to be "normal" the amount of peolpe who have had gearbox's replaced on here is very worrying.