200 cup

Looks like my eldest son has got the bug. He is looking at getting a 59 plate 200 cup one owner white car. No spoiler no recaros or spoiler it's got 89'000 on the clock and has full Renault service history £6000 . I've not seen it yet but do you think it's a decent but?

I personally think mileage is a bit high for a car of that age .

what you think lads n lasses ?

I've just bought a 2000 registered classic Impreza Turbo with 91k on it, so for me the milage is high but it's all about how it's been looked after. I looked at about 10 Imprezas before buying the one I did. Some with less milage but in really poor condition and clearly not looked after and then the one I did with receipts for everything from new and full main dealer history to back up all the claims made by the owner. Go look at the car, check the history is actually full and is Renault (people lie) and check the general condition and make your mind up. I'm a great believer that tyres give away how a car has been treated, budget tyres are a big no no for me and I've walked away from cars due to this.

The car being a 200 should have 7 stamps in the service book as a minimum. 17k a year will take its toll on any car no matter if it's spent 99% of its time on the motorways or not. Though to be honest it's not starship miles these says, we have a car at my work that's fine 30k miles in a year.

Get a car with average miles or lower, I got slaughtered when I traded my last car in cos it was high mileage

I agree, the mileage is high for that age of car - above average anyway. If that is his budget, then there should be a good choice in that range? Maybe a very good 197, rather than a leggy 200?

People worry too much about high mileage, its got a full service history and only one owner, could have been used mainly on motorways which is a lot better than urban driving and more easy on the gear box.
My 05 182 had 164000 miles on it when I sold it earlier this year and my 200 EDC now has 25000 miles on the clock and its only 10 months old, stop worrying and enjoy the drive.

People worry too much about high mileage, its got a full service history and only one owner, could have been used mainly on motorways which is a lot better than urban driving and more easy on the gear box.
My 05 182 had 164000 miles on it when I sold it earlier this year and my 200 EDC now has 25000 miles on the clock and its only 10 months old, stop worrying and enjoy the drive.

Have to agree i would rather a car that is used more often than not as long as its looked after and had all the due services and belts done, used my 197 every day for 3 years on a 30 mile round trip every mon to friday at least and never missed a beat! Got it on the rolling road at start of the year and done 189 bhp and for a car with 76000 mile and standard thought that was excellent.I got a van 3 months ago and dont use it as much and when i drive it now tend to think it drove better when getting used on motorway everday!! So mileage wouldnt be a big worry for me. ☺

My point about the mileage is not the unreliability of the car, on the contrary.

When it comes to resale, particularly If you part ex, you loose a lot of money.

Again thanks for the input lads. It's only my opinion but a car of this type ie highly tuned from the factory with high miles on will probably show more wear and tear (in general) than a rep mobile that has done twice the mileage. Some of these modern 2 lt diesels will happily go round the clock a few times and if that he was looking at buying I would have no concerns. I just don't want him getting a car on finance that won't be able to afford to maintain if it has been ragged within an inch of its life