2 Day Enhancement Detail on my R27

Paul

Platinum Member
So the Clio has been a bit neglected of late with detailing others cars and work in general. I had last week off after Christmas and decided to set about reviving the old girl. We'd been out for a run on the Friday after Christmas and all of the cars were caked, so this is my starting point! I've not bothered with too many photos as I had a lot to do but here's a walkthrough of what I have done;

IMG_0144_zps6a0e9b14.jpg

IMG]http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt256/psdickenson/IMG_0138_zpse87af12f.jpg[/IMG]

IMG_0142_zps0efc635d.jpg

Whole car pressure washed to remove loose dirt.
Sprayed with Citrus Bling to cut through most of the remaining dirt
Pressure washed again
Cleaned using two-bucket method with Auto Finesse Lather (which is great)
All of the shuts and joins were cleaned using Lather and a fine brush
The whole car was sprayed with IronX and Tardis to remove contaminants
Clayed all of the paintwork and glass to remove any other contaminants
Wheels and arches sprayed with Bilberry 10% solution and cleaned
The car was left in the garage overnight

Day 1 - Time so far ~4hours

Day 2 began with an inspection of the paintwork to find out what it was like after 6+ years on the road.

IMG_0152_zps50e8bffe.jpg

IMG_0151_zpse0f6bf0d.jpg

All in all this isn't bad condition but there is work to be done to get it looking perfect.
Using my Rupes Bigfoot with the fine compound and fine pad I began to work down to understand what was needed to remove the swirls. I settled on the medium pad and Quarz medium compound too which provide enough cut to remove the swirls but not overwork the deeper scratches picked up over the cars life.
This was then finished with the fine polishing pad and corresponding compound.
I also noticed that there were swirls in the headlights and tail lights too, which were also corrected.

IMG_0155_zps7e81bed8.jpg

IMG_0164_zpsd7f42c99.jpg

Day 2 - Time so far ~6hours

The car was re-washed to remove any residue from the polishing
Dried using Uber's premium towel so I could get some photos

IMG_0183_zpsa93ed925.jpg

IMG_0169_zpsc725b3b4.jpg

IMG_0175_zpsf1947246.jpg

I finished up with a coat of Swissvax Mirage on all of the paintwork
I'm also giving Auto Finesse Tough Coat a try so this was applied to the glass and vinyl, so I'll see how it goes.
Auto Finesse Satin tire dressing was applied to the tires too

Day 2 - Time so far ~8 hours

Finished paintwork

1f9dd02a-3980-4b49-ab64-dd2b04f7c03f_zps2540b7fa.jpg

Any C&C are welcome.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks guys! I'm over the moon with the results.

Been out in it tonight in the pouring rain and the beading is amazing :smiley:

Great job!

The meg is needing doing but im still waiting on a few products to arrive...

The car was detailed 3 weeks ago before leaving the dealership, Ive not yet used ironx/tardis yet but it look like it would be worth me buying some. Just cover the car after a rinse and then rinse it off?

The car was detailed 3 weeks ago before leaving the dealership, Ive not yet used ironx/tardis yet but it look like it would be worth me buying some. Just cover the car after a rinse and then rinse it off?

I'd definitely recommend it [MENTION=4600]Stevoox[/MENTION], are you planning on machine polishing the car afterwards or are you just wanting to get rid of contaminants?

Yeah pretty much clean as normal, rinse, apply them both separately (rinsing in between), then clean it back off again, probably best to use shampoo again though.

I'd definitely recommend it @Stevoox, are you planning on machine polishing the car afterwards or are you just wanting to get rid of contaminants?

Yeah pretty much clean as normal, rinse, apply them both separately (rinsing in between), then clean it back off again, probably best to use shampoo again though.

Id polish after yeah, but by hand and not machine. It would be to remove all the poop to get best finish possible. Plus the amount of rubbish that the roads kick up this time of year

Without knowing how 'bad' the car is, I'd recommend claying it too.

Yeah got a clay bar etc already as i used to use it on the 200 when it got bad. The meg is ok at the moment though, was all detailed 3 weeks ago before it left the dealership so a quick clean brings it up nice again.

Just nice to have all the products to hand for when i want / need to use them

Definitely agree about having the products to hand! You'll be amazed how much comes off by claying if you get a reaction using IronX and Tardis. Best thing to do is see how you get on and make a decision at the time.