197 upgrade to cup suspension

I recently purchased a late 2007 Clio 197. It's got 84,000 miles on the clock and a cracked front spring so I figured I would use this opportunity to upgrade to the cup dampers and Eibach lowering springs.

I'm generally interested in what people think of this so please feel free.

Is it worth replacing 84,000 miles old dampers? If it is, it's going to cost almost as much to replace them with standard parts so I may as well get the improved cup parts?
Has anyone used the Eibach lowering springs with the cup dampers, if so how were they?
I can get a full set of brand new cup dampers for £346.56 from Renault Wolverhampton.
Would it be worth looking at a low mileage breaker to get them cheaper?
How often do cup dampers come up for sale around here from people upgrading to coilovers?

Also I've read conflicting information on these forums as to whether the cup pack has a shorter steering rack? Some topics have said no, and other have said yes 15% faster. Now it's unlikely I'll change the steering rack but it would be nice to know one and for all. Likewise with the stiffer ARB, some say its stiffer some say its the same as standard?

Andy

Last edited:
Yes the cup cars have a quicker steering rack and yes they have a stiffer anti roll bar.

Dampers with 84k on them will benefit from being changed and the eibach springs are a good option. H&R would be your other viable option.

If your looking for some cup dampers and spring give this number a call... 01228 672084 ALS Performance Parts Ltd. Got a set off them just the other day £160 including postage, come the next day and are in really good condition. They break alot of 197 cups

Cup dampers are cack for road. Faster steering rack isn't anything special either both over rated. Keep it full fat spec with h&r lowering springs :smile:.

What's all this steering rack/anti roll bar talk? Only the 200 cup packed cars had the quicker rack and thicker ARB. The 197 had the same throughout the range.

In my opinion the cup pack is fine on the road, but it entirely depends on your own tastes. Maybe try and get a drive of a cup packed car before making your mind up?

Last edited: