197 turbo questions? ? ?

So I have recently bought yet another clio.
A 197 ly f1. The car is perfect just what I was after though I would like to turbo it.

I have had a high boost 182 so know what to expect.

May main reason for the post is I don't know what route to go down, do I fit a megane engine or turbo the standard? I'm after high boost around the 320 mark would be ideal.

Interested to know people's thoughts and how others have done theirs. Thanks in advance

If you're looking at that sort of power, your best bet is a megane 250 engine. The standard 197 engine is only worth turboing if it's going to be fully forged. However a Megane conversion will be cheaper.

Reactions: sevenfourate
If you want 320 bhp you'll need to upgrade your fuel pump, standard clio pump is good for 310bhp with 630cc injectors.
With a fuel pump and 250 engine (with 630cc injectors) you can do 320bhp and 360lb/ft all day long, to hit those figures with an f4r or 225 engine you'll need to go forged bottom end.

I put the 250 turbo on my 225 engine and the difference is night and day. Holds boost much longer but spool up is the same. 630cc injectors are a must as standards max out at around 270bhp. Standard bottom end goes bang around 300lbft torque (rods bend). 225 ecu is fine, just needs recoded with the clio immobiliser and it's good to go.

Reactions: sevenfourate
I'm running a conservative 278bhp and 285 lb-ft torque with 630cc injectors, 250 turbo and an rs tuning remap. My exhaust is holding it back though, if I fit a 3" system it would run 300bhp all day long.

sorry a bit late to the party..Sean has answered most of your q's..well ideally you wanna go with a 250 engine and turbo..for a 320 mark you would need to forge some parts and as above upgrade you fueling..not sure what else needs changing etc but you are looking a few pennies to be spent :sunglasses:

Reactions: Dystant
I've read a lot of threads on boosting your 197/200 and they all come to same conclusion, but the reasoning seems to be 'bang for buck' based and not necessarily on outright pros and cons. With that in mind I'd like to know what the differences are in the different engines.

Cranks: Are these the same between 197, 200, 250, 265, 275 etc? If not, which are stronger? Are they all forged?
Con Rods: same questions
Pistons: this one is more obvious as the comp ratios are different
Exhaust Manifold: How does the 250, 265, 275 manifold compare to the Engine Dynamics log manifold?
Trasmission: I know of the 197/200 syncro issues, but they seem to be strong, is the Meg box better? Probably worth it if it has an LSD?
ECU: Can the Siemens S3000 from the 197/200 be configured for boost (I believe moderate boost can be done)? Can I plug in a Meg ECU?

Woz