197: Connecting rod bearings, preventive replacement?

Antti O

Gold Member
Hello

I have 70.000 miles in my Clio 197 2007, it is running original engine and conrod bearings.
What do you think about preventive maintenance for conrod bearings.
There has been many engine blow ups because bearing or bearing lubrication problems.

Shopping list, do i have to buy other parts..?

1. Conrod bearing kit
2. Conrod bolt set
3. Oil filter
4. Oil sump gasket

Many thanks

Last edited:
Without changing the actual bearings, the best maintenance is regular oil and filter changes with the correct viscosity oil.
Where have you seen the 'many engine blow ups'? My old engine had around 85,000 miles and was still as strong as ever with regular servicing, and there are many on here with over that.

Reactions: Pav
Without changing the actual bearings, the best maintenance is regular oil and filter changes with the correct viscosity oil.
Where have you seen the 'many engine blow ups'? My old engine had around 85,000 miles and was still as strong as ever, with regular servicing.

My car has been serviced quite perfectly when it was in 1. owner.
It has been serviced once/year and no more than 10.000km (7000miles) with same oil.
In my ownership i have changed oils 2 times in 1 year. I use only good quality 5w-40 oil. (Castrol, Shell, ELF).

There has been some threads here , conrod bearings has been failed. Complete engine rebuild or new engine.
We had recently one car also in Finland which throw conrod out of engine.

I am following BMW forums, and many owners do conrod bearing replacement for M cars between 100.000 kilometres to be sure that bearings are in top condition. Weak point in M engines.

Last edited:
i just wouldnt do anything apart from regular oil changes

most 197 failures will be the actual con rod - so unless you fancy fitting forged rods leave alone

of all the f4r we had in work the bottom ends were usually very strong...far better than so called m cars with notorious sub standard components...

Reactions: Pav and Sean197
i just wouldnt do anything apart from regular oil changes

most 197 failures will be the actual con rod - so unless you fancy fitting forged rods leave alone

of all the f4r we had in work the bottom ends were usually very strong...far better than so called m cars with notorious sub standard components...

Ok
I will do normal oil changes and i forget that conrod bearing replacement.
Thanks

My car has been serviced quite perfectly when it was in 1. owner.
It has been serviced once/year and no more than 10.000km (7000miles) with same oil.
In my ownership i have changed oils 2 times in 1 year. I use only good quality 5w-40 oil. (Castrol, Shell, ELF).

There has been some threads here , conrod bearings has been failed. Complete engine rebuild or new engine.
We had recently one car also in Finland which throw conrod out of engine.

I am following BMW forums, and many owners do conrod bearing replacement for M cars between 100.000 kilometres to be sure that bearings are in top condition. Weak point in M engines.
:tearsofjoy: mate, I work for BMW and the ONLY reason they throw rod bearings out is because they're used hard on track and the oil isn't to the correct level.

They have more that one oil pump in the sump as well to cope with surge and these fail which causes blow ups. The v10 m5 was the same.