197 code reader help- push start button question

Hi guys just joined over from Cliosport. I own the 5dr 182 on itb's some may know of :smile:

Hoping some of you may have some 197 specific info that might help me out!!

I'm working on a friends 197 currently and trying to get the code reader to connect to the car but being a push start button it has me a bit stumped.

By turn key I need to be in acc position for the code reader to connect, how do you get here with the button?

I have pressed and held it for around 5-8 seconds and all the dash lights light up but dissappear again, which I think is how I connected to a megane before.

Any ideas/tips/ help is much appreciated

thanks

Don't press the brake and then press the button. This puts it in Acc mode I believe?

I'm getting straight into the car and plugging the reader in, then holding the start button. Not pressing the brake at all daz

Ok, don't hold the start button, just press it once and let go.

Not 100% certain with the 197, but in my 200 that puts it in acc mode so you can listen to the radio etc.

Nope not it :worried:

I'm sure there are bound to be people who have used code readers on the 197/200 it must just be the sequence

If you press the start button without putting your foot on the brake and having the car in gear, the engine doesn't start but the stereo comes on as if you have turned the key (if it had one) to one position.

Try putting the car in the slot. Or try starting the engine, then stopping it and not opening the drivers door. Or stall it! Lol!

Don't touch the pedals, hold the start button in for about 15 seconds. I think you hear a beep, but this puts the car in 'second ignition' stage

Yep thats where im getting to mate. At least you have clarified I was doing the right thing to get there. Still won't connect though, I just assumed the same code reader that works mk2s, meganes etc works for mk3s? The u380

I'm not sure, this is what matt at TDF did when he remapped mine. Worth noting that he couldn't read anything off the ECU until coolant temperature was below 65 degC, so make sure the engine is cool if it's not already

I just had the RS tuning reader hooked up to my 197 this afternoon.

I was stuck aswell so i just turned the car on normallyand it worked no problem!

(no error codes for me :smile: )

An easier way to get to the 'Acc' stage is to have the car in gear, press the brake and then start.

The electronics come on, the steering lock unlocks and the OBD port becomes active. Also 'select neutral' is displayed in the dash.

At least that was what happened on my Megane II...

P.S. The electric power steering also worked in this 'second stage'... Pretty cool.

i had a code reader for the mk2 172 and it didnt work on the 197 as i presume it did have a compactible proticol.

Yeah im thinking it might just not be compatible. If you get yours back give me a shout adam! Ive used it on meganes sport and other and mk2 clios, maybe the 197 just changed the can system

i dont think theres an output for most readers without the engine running - my obd2 is the same !!!