197 clutch issue

this has happened to me twice now.
thursday and today.

driving around and the car will rev badly as if the clutch was depressed when it isn't (after a gear change) it wont pick up speed for 30 seconds until it realises the clutch is actually up not down and it will continue to do this until the clutch peddle drops to the floor on it's own (like it's losing pressure) and then comes back up. either by me changing gear or kicking the peddle up.

today I smelt a burning smell.

what could be causing this?
going to take it back to the dealer and get them to look at it. this is my first non cable clutch so maybe I'm driving it wrong.

there have been a few reported problems with clutch master cylinders being faulty

fluids are fine. had a full service before I picked it up.

I'm thinking it's due to me resting my foot on the clutch peddle, I've been told by my brother not to do this (it's a habit from driving cable clutches) its been fine for the rest of the day with me keeping my foot off the peddle when not changing gear.

Strange. As Foxspeed has said, leaks on the cyclinders have been know. Think Woody had one?

hmm will keep it in mind but not had any mystery puddles or loss of fluid.
If it happens again it will definitely be going back to the dealers to get inspected (its what a warranty is for)
I'll change my style of driving (peddle control) and if nothing happens within the next week (as I've only had the car a week and had the problem rear up twice) I'll put it down to the fact the clutch really doesn't like a weight resting against it in normal use.

I sometimes wonder why things went so electrical, my old fiesta was so easy to work on and problem solve with.

driving round with your foot "resting" on the clutch pedal is asking for trouble!

thought so. I blame driving cars that pre date me and my youngest brother :tongueout:

it doesnt matter what system of clutch actuation is used - any slight pressure can cause long term issues

i try to make sure the clutch is either "in" or "out" and keep "slipping" it to a minimum

it doesnt matter what system of clutch actuation is used - any slight pressure can cause long term issues

i try to make sure the clutch is either "in" or "out" and keep "slipping" it to a minimum

The old fashion term is 'riding the clutch'. I got into the habit when I was having lessons many years ago, until my dad started taking me for lessons. If i started riding the clutch he punched me in the leg, I soon got out of the habit.....

I've started hitting my left leg now. seems to be doing the trick. drove the car for about an hour and a half and left it on once till I realised. compared to yesterday an improvement.
I'm still fascinated by all the gadgets. I thought it was swish having electric windows and an electronic boot popper on my old car :tongueout:

at least I can say I earnt my car after 5 years driving bangers.

Not had a master cylinder but a new clutch (plates n cover) got a new gearbox out of renault aswell.

exactly the same was happening to my 197 cup. would only happen when had been in heavy traffic for about an hour then when finally got a bit of open road or a hill to got up, the clutch would slip like mad.

the car is just still in warranty and have had in dealers several times now.

They started by changing 2 modified clutch pipes, this made no differance.

then they fitted a new clutch, thought it had sorted it but a week later same again.

been back again and they have now fitted a clutch master cylinder.

fingers crossed i think it is now sorted. It has been driving me mad though.

As when i was taking in to dealers it was difficult to diagnose as only happened after about an hours driving.

this has happened to mine twice in 6 months.but it only seems to happen when the car is quite hot e.g car standind for a while

how many miles do clutches usually last in these car's? If ive given mine some bean's sometimes I can smell the clutch but it dosnt seem to be slipping.
I quickly got out of the habbit of "riding the clutch" after driving remapped tdi's.

Also are these clutches combined with a dual mass flywheel or are these "normal". ?

TYIA

Mine kept slipping when I was sitting in traffic for awhile when I was working in Birmingham, think I've heard quite a few others with same problem!