197: Car pulling right (wheel aligment done 2 times)..

Antti O

Gold Member
Tyres: Almost brand new michelin pilot sport 4 215/45/17
Suspension: original, new springs front + 4x new shocks.
Aligment done 2 times, rear axle adjusted now it is straight spot on.

I think this problem came with new michelins. With old continentals or winter tyres i did not remember this kind of problem.
I have to steer little bit left all the time, if not car pulls right.

Any ideas?

Here is video before yesterday re-aligment, steering wheel was not center. Now it is spot on 12 o clock no problems with that.

Are you sure it's not just the camber of the road? A lot of the Clios in the UK suffer from pulling to the left, even when the tracking has been checked and double-checked.
One possible thing to check for is the subframe alignment as I believe this may cause slight pulling.

Are you sure it's not just the camber of the road? A lot of the Clios in the UK suffer from pulling to the left, even when the tracking has been checked and double-checked.
One possible thing to check for is the subframe alignment as I believe this may cause slight pulling.

I know road camber is one possibility, but why it goes well with other tyres? I dont remember i had any problems with winter tyres. I cannot test those in summertime, it is illegal.

I know road camber is one possibility, but why it goes well with other tyres? I dont remember i had any problems with winter tyres. I cannot test those in summertime, it is illegal.

No reason why tyres alone should cause the car to pull to one side, apart from the pressures being higher/lower on one side.

There is 2.4 bar in each tyre, i yesterday inflated my tyres.
I have to test somehow with different set.. Or maybe if i change right side tyres for left..

There is 2.4 bar in each tyre, i yesterday inflated my tyres.
I have to test somehow with different set.. Or maybe if i change right side tyres for left..

depends if they are directional, if not then it's worth a try.

I would check the track rod ends inner and outer as well as the anti rotation links these cars can hide bad track rod ends as the anti rotation link takes the load another thing to check is the front shocks the spring can sometimes not sit into the top bearing cup when putting the front shock together just the way spring compressors work I had this problem. Another thing would be the lower arms the two bushes if there is play wheel alignment will always be perfect when standing still be flex when driving causing the car to pull. Final option the brakes one brake might be grabbing slightly pulling the car to that side. A badly fitted sub frame will result in one wheel a little further forward than the other measure from the leading part of the lower arm to a bolt at the back of the sub frame if both are the same then subframe is straight. Well that's a weekend of fun check how it pulls under slight power and off the power and on the brakes if there is a difference then something is moving, also on different roads as well .
upload_2017-7-27_11-42-4.png

Reactions: Sean197
Thanks for your help

Car do have new genuine both in/out track rods. Also this problem was before and after suspension replacement. In fact, i first suspected right front spring failure caused car pulling right. Thats why i invested lof of money to fix suspension. After that problem still exists lol..
I dont believe that subframe is in wrong position because it was fine to drive with winter tyres. I check also brakes when i change tyres if there is any fault..

Wish i still had my old summer tyres to test..

Some quick dest done:

1. I changed tyres from right to left. It is still the same, pulls right
2. If i drive in most left side in the road you can drive, we drive usually in right, so it pulls left. Maybe this is because road camber? Pilot sports seems to be reading that camber much more than conti sport contacts?

Some quick dest done:

1. I changed tyres from right to left. It is still the same, pulls right
2. If i drive in most left side in the road you can drive, we drive usually in right, so it pulls left. Maybe this is because road camber? Pilot sports seems to be reading that camber much more than conti sport contacts?

It looks like it's the road camber. I know from my time as a Renault tech years ago that the Phase 1 Laguna came from the factory fitted with springs which were specific to the side of the road you drove on, so in the UK our cars were fitted with springs which stopped the car pulling left and following the camber of the road. Maybe Renault have stopped doing this with their cars and just fitted the same springs to all cars, regardless of country.

Sean, that sounds mad.. :smiley: Is it really true?

Yeah, there was a technical recall on mk1 Lagunas where we had to fit new springs to stop them pulling to the left.
Incidentally, my 197 pulled to the left on standard suspension, but when I fitted the B14's it doesn't pull any more.

Reactions: Antti O
Make sure subframe is just tightened straight, if it's ever been off it might not be.

Having said that, even with extreme geo on race car and a standard road car with kws, neither have ever had a problem, race cars been apart so many times, only recently I made sure it was tightened straight, never had any issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar problem that alignment didn't fix....turned out to be a loose wheel bearing on front NS, replacing it immediately solved the issue.