197 cam option

Chrisgti6

East Midlands Rep.
Morning guys,

What are the options for cams on the 197? I'm going to be doing the belts some time in the not to distant future and budget dependent may decide to stick a set of cams in at the same time.

The rest of the car is standard, inlet, exhaust etc and apart from a panel filter it will be staying that way (i'm past the noisy exhaust stage in my life) so what would you suggest? Is it worth while without any other mods (it'll be mapped accordingly of course)

What options are there, and where from?

p.s. I'm fitting myself, so need parts only.

Cheers

Chris

Fernandez has a few options of cams

Not at the minute he doesn't, I beleive they are off sale due to further development.

Is the K-Tec one a drive in drive out package? I've seen they do a Cam and Renflash package (parts only), however it is £990....

You will be looking at at least £1700 most places for the full service, belts, cams and remap.

PM me your email address and I'll send you some quotes I got in November.

I don't want a drive in/out package, that's my point.

I'm simply after a pair of cams, and i'm looking for what's going to best on an otherwise standard car.

The K-Tec cam and reflash package seems good, however it is overpriced IMO.

Buy the cam"s direct from cat cams? Surelly they beable supply u same as they do with k-tec.

Then all need do is go RS tuning,TDF or k-tec for mapping

Not at the minute he doesn't, I beleive they are off sale due to further development.

Is the K-Tec one a drive in drive out package? I've seen they do a Cam and Renflash package (parts only), however it is £990....

This is true, Columbo and Bariani are re developing the cams available for the 197/200. They do a can reprofile service on your OEM cams for around £350. This brings them close to the Group N spec but this can be hard on the followers.

As others have said speak to Danny at 519

Buy the cam"s direct from cat cams? Surelly they beable supply u same as they do with k-tec.

Then all need do is go RS tuning,TDF or k-tec for mapping

That's the sort of thing i'm thinking. However a'm after some advice or opinions on what it'll be like on a std engine, without breathing mods etc.

Anyone else running a std car with cams?

Personally I wouldnt bother. I've fitted cams and for the outlay IMO not worth it. You'd only really see the benefits of it on the track, as the cams only pushes the power further up the rev range so you really need to be ringing its neck to see the difference but by which, you'll have probably have ran out of road.....save your money!!!

Last edited:
Also, fitting Cams is NOT without its problems. Read the threads. The power increase isn't great and also I'd be very careful with whom I would have fit them.

Also, fitting Cams is NOT without its problems. Read the threads. The power increase isn't great and also I'd be very careful with whom I would have fit them.

Fitting would be me, so needs to be cams that run on the standard timings. I also understand that it's not going to gain massive power, but if I can pick up some cams cheap enough then surely it'll be worth while?

Fitting would be me, so needs to be cams that run on the standard timings. I also understand that it's not going to gain massive power, but if I can pick up some cams cheap enough then surely it'll be worth while?

I might be wrong but I thought you needed a different timing tool to that of Renault. Shrick do a timing tool for their F4r cams.

I might be wrong but I thought you needed a different timing tool to that of Renault. Shrick do a timing tool for their F4r cams.

Wouldnt advise it tbh unless you've fitted mod cams before. Theres been quite a few **** ups....and trust me, can be expensive to put right and either way, you'll need it mapping. Thats another £300 on the bill......

Wouldnt advise it tbh unless you've fitted mod cams before. Theres been quite a few **** ups....and trust me, can be expensive to put right and either way, you'll need it mapping. Thats another £300 on the bill......

I know about the mapping, and that some cams will require to be timed differently.

However, I'm sure there will be mild(ish) cams that can be timed the same as stock cams. If I can get a set like that then I can't really see how I can mess it up.

TBH this thread wasn't a shall I or not, or how difficult is it etc. I was after advice around whether they would be suitable on a stock engine, and where to get them from.

Thanks for the input though