16'' on 197 possible or not

Hi all,
I just joined this forum. I'm Ivo from Croatia and I own a 197.
I have a simple question: is it possible to fit without any upgrades a 16'' wheel on 197. I'm asking that due to winter reasons since I'm of idea that a 215/45R17 winter tyre is to large for mountain roads full of curves and snow or ice. So I thinking that a narrower tyre will do.
Please advise best thing to do.
Tnx in advance
Ivo

Not sure they'd fit over the calipers. These cars don't mix well with snow and ice either way :worried:

So i have to remain with standard wheels. Is it possible to fit on them at least a narrower tyre then 215?

You can, I am sure I saw that someone had done this recently, perhaps from Russia.

It will very much depend on the inside style is the wheel - competition wheels often have better brake clearance

I think the narrowest you can reasonably fit is 205, maybe 195 but that is pushing it so I don't recommend it.

Cant go any smaller than 17in as they will not fit over the caliper at all.

So it's becoming more percise and precise. Now I have 205/xx-17. Can you please then tell me xx figures?

As above, if you get the right wheel, 16" will fit.

I am on BB so access is limited but there are loads of tyre size calculators out there. I would suggest something like a 195/55R16, but it will depend on the width of the wheels that fit.

Have a search for the post where this other chap had fitted 16" winter wheels, I seem to recall it was a black example.

Anyway, if I would like to stay with original wheels, will it be appropriate to buy a 205/50-17 tyre or ?

Yeh, 16" has been done. A recent post from someone in Russia I think, car looks the nuts with them too! Lol! I think you would be ok with a 195 tbh, just check on a tyre converter website.

Standard wheels are 7.5J so 205 is about as narrow as you should go with the standard wheels. 195's would be fine on a 7J wheel though

IIRC the profile is 45 so you would need 205/45 r17 to fit on the standard alloys in the narrowest tread possible.

As the OP has stated, the correct profile would be 50.

Because you have gone 1 size narrower, you have to go one size larger in the profile, so 205/50x17 is correct. This is the route i have been looking to take as the tires are cheaper, but insurance company issues if i have a claim with smaller tires on are a worry.

:smile:

I can see that we are approaching to the final verdict.
Which winter tyre will be 205/50x17 or 215/45x17?
Can somebody give his personal pros/cons for each of these 2 winter tyres.
I want to understand if one cm on each tyre will make a difference or not.

I am running on 205 50 17, dunlop m3, the narrower winter tire gives you better traction in the snow, as there is more weight on each sqaure cm, I havent driven a 197 with winter 215/45/17 so cant be sure, but I find the 205 50 to be a little soft on the sides and perhaps the 215 45 17 would be a little stiffer and the handling on dry cold tarmac would be a little better, anyway, 205 50 17 is fine and even better if the area you live in has a lot of snow, 215 45 17 I would choose if most of the winter the roads would be clear of snow, and that is the case here in poland, during the whole winter we have temperatures below zero, even down to -25C, moslty the roads are salted and snowploughed so the main routes are pretty much dry or wet tarmac, so next set would be the 215's