Yellow Speed Vs Bilstein B14

I am indeed. Brilliant on track for the money but I think if I was running the car daily or even just at weekends it would be too much to handle, I think they're realistically too stiff to be safe on the road.

Man up Martin....10 and 12kg here on the E36 :tearsofjoy:

I have no idea what Bilstein on have on my car, but they have solid top mounts and are far, far, far from being considered a comfort road set up. Far more likely to get airborne than the cup set up and corners pretty flat. DSC_6913.JPG

I have run B14s for just under a year now. In my opinion they are a big improvement over cup dampers and springs. The combination of lowering the car with a decent damper means that the handling of my Clio was improved without the drive being too rough or harsh. But, I agree with @Sean197 B14s are probably best for fast road use rather than a track car as they are a bit too soft on track.

I am waiting for a set of Gaz Golds to turn up so I can replace the B14s. I am now looking for a stiffer ride and a suspension set up that I can get more negative camber with.

If I was going to buy either B14s from new or YSRs from new I would go for the YSRs. @Helpimonfire has a set of YSRs and I had a passenger ride in his car at Bedford and his suspension set up was stiff and planted like it should be for a track day.

I will be selling my B14s in the next 4 weeks (hopefully) so if you are interested in a cheap set of B14s for about £275 that have done about 8,000 miles and have no leaks etc. then let me know.

Same decision I am currently trying to make. I am dailying the car more at the moment so decent damping appeals. Has anyone running yellow speeds had issues with the fluid heating up too much when using them on track? It was mentioned to me that some people had some issues.

Same decision I am currently trying to make. I am dailying the car more at the moment so decent damping appeals. Has anyone running yellow speeds had issues with the fluid heating up too much when using them on track? It was mentioned to me that some people had some issues.

I'd be interested to know what happens if/when the fluid heats up too much? I ran mine for a couple of good 45+ minute session at Snetterton last weekend and the only thing getting hot and bothered was me :sweatsmile:

Reactions: mb77
I'd be interested to know what happens if/when the fluid heats up too much? I ran mine for a couple of good 45+ minute session at Snetterton last weekend and the only thing getting hot and bothered was me :sweatsmile:

Me too, I had never heard of that until it was mentioned to me when I discussed going for the yellow speeds.

If it helps, I've run mine hard since I fitted them late last year and they've been absolutely fine. They should perform even better now I've had the car set up properly :sweatsmile:

If it helps, I've run mine hard since I fitted them late last year and they've been absolutely fine. They should perform even better now I've had the car set up properly :sweatsmile:

Cheers mate, good to know. I was set on YS until then but think I will still go down that route with the road springs.

Who mentioned that then, as you said people so more than 1?
YSR make coilovers for many makes that are used on track, I've never heard of them having problems, the oil can heat up with extended use, but I very much doubt unless you are racing it will hit those high temperatures that will cause a problem, it sounds like someone who is trying to deter you from them lol.

Who mentioned that then, as you said people so more than 1?
YSR make coilovers for many makes that are used on track, I've never heard of them having problems, the oil can heat up with extended use, but I very much doubt unless you are racing it will hit those high temperatures that will cause a problem, it sounds like someone who is trying to deter you from them lol.
Nah it was a fellow owner online who I was discussing coilover choices with. I did some more searching but can't see any other reports of it but thought I would ask on here. Don't think he would be trying to put me off, just a fellow owner passing on what he had heard I can't see me getting them that hot so should be fine for me.

It's typical internet hearsay or misinterpretation, many people track them, including Martin above and he uses them properly (he's on track spring setup too), you'll enjoy them for their price point.