Wow, that's a lot of spam

think it just need one of them, security questions things, in the sign up to stop bots, or make it admin have authorise the user before they can post the 1st x amount of times

think it just need one of them, security questions things, in the sign up to stop bots, or make it admin have authorise the user before they can post the 1st x amount of times

Already kind of done the latter afaik, and they had issues setting up captur on the board so it didn't take.

The accounts doing it now generally joined a while back: http://clio197.net/forum/member.php?u=8429

Join date 3rd of Jan.

The board software needs upgrading last I heard. I heard MikeDX has lots of time on his hands now anyway :wink:

Software update is being tested by MikeDX.

So yeah, we'll be updated soon and the spammers vanquished.

This has just gone mental - We are going to need to put something more specific to the site in the question / answer thing.

A couple of months ago I pruned ALL of the spam sign ups.

Bear with us please folks.. The spammers won't win!

I sent Jase a new version some time ago of the forum so hopefully that is what is being tested?

I read yesterday that all new users need approval before being able to post. I thought admin were doing well as I saw no spam.

Then this morning I was going about my business and wanting to read some clio related topics.. Needless to say I was disappointed to find I could only read articles regarding sporting jerseys :worried:

Its the weirdest spam though, you'd of thought they'd make it look slightly credible so you'd fall for it? :S on another note a few years ago I tried to buy stuff off the official store of the Chicago Bears. stuff never came and it took an entire year to get a full refund!! Jerseys are bad news :-p

When I ran my own gaming forum I had a **** load of them keep registering, everything I tried worked for a few weeks then they would be back.

I then found a large database of known spammers that is updated on-the-fly and ran a plugin that used the database and that solved the problem, no idea if you are running something like that but if not its worth a look.

Link to database
Link to plugin for vBulletin (new version only work on 4.x)