Winter car, Good/Bad idea?

On my way into work this morning I'd noticed patches of the roads had frozen over as it was apparently in the minus' last night.

I didn't have any problems on any of the roads on the way, until I met a round about turning right.. Must of only been doing 15-20mph and the car completely slid, 360 degrees. Narrowly missing an artic coming behind me!!!

I'm so fortunate it's half term for the kid's at the moment, because on a school day the road is rammed and I would have easily had some damage done.

I'm on the look out or a winter car if anyone has one for sale? Not bothered, 1.2 - 1.5 preferable, few months tax and MOT will do for a £200-300.

Can't risk having to claim on my insurance as I'm paying the earth already. Winter car/good bad idea? :bounce:

Good idea in theory yes.

But, also potentially a bad idea because you'll then have a second car to insure and if you hit somebody then you're still in the same position of somebody claiming against you. Plus, extra fuel costs to think of, unless you're going to leave the Clio alone completely until about January...Also, if it's a car you don't care about, are you going to be more likely to p!ss about in it in the snow?

Put the money towards winter/cold weather tyres instead maybe?

I drove my 200 to work all last winter, up a steep hill and through fresh and packed snow. was absolutely fine (apart from i got silly on purpose to see if i could make it slide)
I think its just down to how you drive the car... short shift lots and keep it slow if possible.

But i can see how a lot of people have to travel what are normally 'fast' roads every day and during the winter they dont think about how the road conditions change and will still drive excessively fast over black ice and snow. Its tough having to lead the pack (albeit slowly) on an icy morning.

So if you are worried about having an accident or an idiot in a bimmer or merc plough into you, then a £300 run-around is ideal for the winter months, if you have the space to park it.

How are you planning to do the insurance? with a seperate company? or bundle it all on to a multi-car policy?
Surely if you have it on a single policy then an accident in your 'cheap' car is going to put up the insurance for both?

-AJ

I drove my 200 to work all last winter, up a steep hill and through fresh and packed snow. was absolutely fine (apart from i got silly on purpose to see if i could make it slide)
I think its just down to how you drive the car... short shift lots and keep it slow if possible.

But i can see how a lot of people have to travel what are normally 'fast' roads every day and during the winter they dont think about how the road conditions change and will still drive excessively fast over black ice and snow. Its tough having to lead the pack (albeit slowly) on an icy morning.

So if you are worried about having an accident or an idiot in a bimmer or merc plough into you, then a £300 run-around is ideal for the winter months, if you have the space to park it.

How are you planning to do the insurance? with a seperate company? or bundle it all on to a multi-car policy?
Surely if you have it on a single policy then an accident in your 'cheap' car is going to put up the insurance for both?

-AJ

I know obviously I won't be covered if I was to cause an accident in go into somebody else, it's not myself I'm worried about though, it's everyone else!

I'm planning to insure it fire and theft, basic cover on a completely separate policy. That way If I manage to plough into a curb/wall or what have you, I'm not going to be bothered in any way about repairing it. I'll merely scrap it :tongueout:

I'll park the Clio away for the winter, car cover etc. And I won't run it.

I do travel on quite a series of B road's on my way to work also, another reason why I'd feel more at ease being in a bag of ****e than my 197.

I'm planning to insure it fire and theft, basic cover on a completely separate policy.

Don't forget that Third Party is a legal requirement for road use. Some companies may insure you as Third Party only but it's not always easy to find. :wink:

If you do bump onto some one in this run about, then you will still have to tell your insurance for the clio, therefore it going up anyway, like said, get some winter tyres?

Mine was terrible in the snow last year. Got stuck trying to get up my drive way. I put it down to the Continentals only having about 3mm left on them.

Remember that if you're going to crash in a car this winter, the clio is 5 star NCAP and a £200 rust bucket is probably 0 star NCAP.

I'm more worried about bumping into something, not another car.

If I'm to curb it or bump a wall or whatever, I'm not going to have to worry about a claim or repair!

I am considering getting rid of my Clio altogether and just using a winter smoker, aside from anything else winter rubber in 185/65R14 is much cheaper than 215/45R17!

Just take it easy like everyone's said.

Last year I was forced to drive from my house to the yard (3miles) on R888's in the snow. It was a Saturday morning and we had a 197.net rolling road day booked. N0ddie actually turned up with the R888's :lol:

Safe to say the trackday on the Sunday was canceled.

Price up some winter tyres. Either that or save a bit and get something decent. My dads just bought a Discovery II for the winter.