Window Tinting

Jamz72

Paid Member
Has anyone attempted to do this themselves with some film?

If so; how difficult was it (particularly the rear window), where did you get the film and what % was it?

Done a couple of searches and can't find any sign of anyone doing it :worried:

James

I tinted my rear windows, they were easy.

The boot window is nothing short of a complete pain in the arse.

Did you use a hair dryer on the awkward bits of the side windows, or just a credit card type thing throughout? Did you get your rear one done proffecionally then?

I tinted the side windows of my previous car myself but ended up bailing the the rear because I thought it would be too difficult, but I didn't know about the hair dryer trick back then..

James

Just spend an extra bit and get it done professionally, you'll regret it if you mess it up and then have to pay to get it done again, I think I payed 100 quid for my 3 rears

Yea pay the extra. The quality of the tint will be better and the job will be 100% better.

Have you ever tried curved glass? Its a nightmare. Even the guy that did mine says he had a mare of a job.

Part of the reason for attempting it is just so I have an excuse to spend a few hours in the sun working on the car :tongueout: and it's only £16.99 for a 6m roll of film. I just hope the film is quality.

Never tried tinting curved glass before but after watching a few vids using a hair dryer to shrink the film to fit, it doesn't seem as impossible as I once thought..

Need to get it done ready for Roy's stickers to arrive :smile:

James

I'd pay someone else to do it, I've tried doing it myself on flat glass and TBH It's not worth the frustration.

I would imagine the rear window will be a ball ache.

It's about £120 to get someone else to do it. Probably money well spent given the price of film.

For what it cost's - usually between 80 and 100 quid, I'd get someone to do it. Nothing worse than making a cock out of it yourself.

£80-100 will send me even deeper into my overdraft :tongueout:

Think I'm going to give it a go. As Mike said, the rear quarters look super easy to do, I think the hardest part will be getting the glass completely dust free. The rear window will be the trickiest to do, but 6m of film allows me to cock it up at least a few times without running out :smile:

James