Window Regulator

Hi - Bought a replacement door for my 197 but there is no window mechanism only the glass!. Is it an easy job to fit the mechanism/regulator? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I had to change a door and window mechanism earlier in the year, not too difficult but it was time consuming.

The window must be down for the glass to be removed, it's probably easier to take the door card off first, then reconnect the switches and lower the window, you will need to remove the sound deadening/membrane in the door but there are two holes that you can access the bottom of the window through so lower it to the right place first. The glass is attached to the mechanism by a peg on each arm of the mechanism. the bottom of the glass has two holes that fit over the pegs so the glass must be pushed to the outside skin of the door to lift it off the pegs, then the glass should just slide out.

The mechanism itself is just 4 or 5 bolts, iirc, and you just unbolt it and twiddle it around to fit through the holes in the door, you shouldn't need to take it apart. Hardest part was getting the glass back on the pegs, bit of brute force was needed although obviously be careful as its glass! Just had to keep playing around with it and eventually it went on, sorry I can't remember anymore detail!

Also you shouldn't need to undo the hinge bolts on the body side, I left them alone and the door lined up very well, certainly get it all back on before deciding if you need to touch them.