Will a meg RS250 engine fit in a 197?

Cost aside and the obvious electronic difficulties...what are peoples thoughts on whether it would fit. My view is its block is the same as previous meg but unsure about gearbox and I know the hubs are different so shafts will be equally. I'm guessing if it would, theres the potential of an easy 300bhp, plus lsd and maybe run a separate piggyback ecu?

Last edited:
If the 'box is the same as the R26 then it'll fit I should think.

Clueless on hubs etc. to be honest, but physically, then engine itslef will go in I think.

recon it would fit if money was no object,but if that was the case how about sticking the v6 in of the megan cup racer that would be nuts.ime thinking lotto win would have to be on the cards:thumbup:

Think this would be ££££ more than an r26 engine, and that costs a lot!! Why would you piggy back with an after market? Just run meg ecu surly?

If people can get a w12 in an BMW E30 then its clear that anything can fit in anything .

An engine and box is going to be £4000 for a good one + possibly £15,000 in application and fabrication + electronics if your lucky. Then there is the additional weight on the suspension which would need to be addressed so some new suspension or springs for exsisting units .

The point being the Clio is good and reliable because it is NA taking this away from it is pointless and you should just save your cash and buy a 265 thophy.

IMO

I think it would be mega bucks!
If your wanting to go down that route might as well go r26 and settle for 250bhp lmao!

the rs250 engine runs a different turbo and vvt iirc.....it is physically the same as the megane 225 - think the gearbox is as well - as for hubs you wouldnt need them just use the clio perfo-hubs

the rs250 engine runs a different turbo and vvt iirc.....it is physically the same as the megane 225 - think the gearbox is as well - as for hubs you wouldnt need them just use the clio perfo-hubs

Theres your answer. It'll fit.

Yep, that was my thinking. Wasn't so much the need for the hubs, was more the need for hybrid driveshafts. I'm thinking its the same as r26 conversion but using separate management (like ktec) as oppose to 'marrying' meg 250 loom to 197 which would be even more complex....

Last edited:
225/R26 conversion, then with all the saved £££ invest in a KTR 400 bhp conversion!

picture_278.jpg

Gearbox is different. So are the shafts. 250 front track is 70mm wider (iirc) this could be down to a number of components.

In short yes . . . and i know tunners in discussion about doing this already and have the engine ready for the donor car .

( not mine)

how much 'better' is the 250 lump over a 225/250 then?

depends in what sense we are talking about as in many respects you could argue the standard engine more a track car is better once N/A tuned due to ease of use

Id argue minimal difference between a late 225 engine vs a earlier 250 but the engine in question has covered minimal mileage so in that respect better

Engine will fit with relative ease, could be run with the clio box shafts etc, but the clio flywheel and the helix clutch setup and easily deal with 330lb/ft+

The meg box is only a development on the espace 1.9diesel box from years ago with different ratio gears, input spline size is the same so design torque is more than likely the same.

If the ecu is the same type as clio and 225/230 ie sagem s3000 then it would be a piece of piss to fit as long as the immoboliser can be hacked and matched to the clio one as per 225 meg conversions, would have full control of vvt, boost control cruise etc...

-Andy

i may be nieve and stupid for saying this, but ill say it anyway.

Everyone always says it cant be done, although it has been, and its a difficult job to do... blah blah blah.

Couldnt you just get a Meg 230, and take the whole lot. Engine, gearbox, Diff, ECU, Looms... the lot. If its all the original parts, why wouldnt it work?

feel free to call me an idiot if ive merited it lol