Why i can't sell up for another manufacturer basically.

What you said
Im seriously considering it, but when i meant i have all that to do i meant i have it all to do in the next three months if i keep the car! lol. But iv got a few quotes for a few things i want to do and hopefully change my mind.

Jap Import Civic Type-R FD2?

Although, without coilovers it will rattle your teeth out.

I miss my R27, and regret buying my R26, apart from when I'm on the motorway.

I have no idea what to get next. Turbo cars are very boring, very quickly

Very good choice Russ! They are good looking! But iv always wanted to know what your opinion was about swapping over to the R26 'cause your R27 was mint.

I loved my mk 1 focus rs, That was running 350bhp, Then had the subaru wr1 and found it to be the most boring car ever,

Was so looking forward to getting a NA again, I have the mrs fiesta and my van to drive so the 197 is just a toy,

WR1 boring? I had a mate that thought it was the best car hes had and hes had four or five renaultsports.

This is hilarious.

I think you are making the right choice though :smile::smile:

I might get to see it next year then??? :smile::smile:

:hug:

Yeah Mike you will get to see what ever car i decide to buy or even keep haha!

Ya I have the same thing. had my R27 for 19 months and I was getting the itch to change... wanted a megane 250.

But as I said on another thread, I went on a test drive the megane was very quick but on the same road on the way home the clio was slower but much more fun! Im keeping my clio now im back in love with it :smile:

This is the kinda thing that makes me want to keep it! I always fall in love with mines once i wash it! lol

no i totally agree mate. clios are fun and cheap to maintain. what more do you want?

guy i do bits of work for drives a 370z, ive had a go and its wickedly fast but nothing in the corners like the clio

Bingo Woody! The Clio was expensive to run to start with (i came from a 1.2 16v) but i expected it and now its cheap to run!

When you have a wr1 for 3yr they do get very boring, Thats why most people mod thiers, You have to wait untill 3.5k revs before the turbo kicks in then it's soo much hard work to drive, You'll find most people on wr1oc sell them after a few months because they are very boring,

I changed from an R27 to an R32 and don't regret it in the slightest. The Clio was just too one-dimensional, whereas the Golf does a bit of everything. The Clio only did B road blasting well and was hopeless everywhere else. my R27 sat at around 4000rpm at 80mph on motorways, that's about 120mph in the Golf!

I changed from an R27 to an R32 and don't regret it in the slightest. The Clio was just too one-dimensional, whereas the Golf does a bit of everything. The Clio only did B road blasting well and was hopeless everywhere else. my R27 sat at around 4000rpm at 80mph on motorways, that's about 120mph in the Golf!

Not sure R32 and a R27 is a fair match up to be honest. Completely different cars with a completely different focus. Also about 10 grand difference new.

I wud cringe paying 425 road tax on an r32 thats only reason i wont buy 1 that and they are slow. They may have 270 bhp but they are heavy. Ive had a few races and kept up.

When you put the Clio up against a lot of things, changing seems a bit pointless. The car is so good at a lot of things I think. It depends what you want out of a car though. I don't do a lot of motorway miles, and even if I do, I can't see the point in doing over 80mph. You are constantly travelling in a stright line, what's the point in flooring it? I can't see the thrill. If you want to go fast, is 134mph not quick enough? Nearly double the max limit in the UK.

Now corners, there's the thrill! And you will be pushed to find a car that does it as well as the Clio for the money straight out the box.

It isn't too bad on fuel, tax, tyres, insurance and servicing. It looks good, is quite quick (enough to get you in trouble anyways!) and you can easily fit a weeks worth of shoppin for 2 in the boot. Add in keyless entry, electric mirrors, cruise and all the other bits and it is a very good value car. Absolutely great around Welsh roads!

I think I'll be keeping mine for a while!

Not sure R32 and a R27 is a fair match up to be honest. Completely different cars with a completely different focus. Also about 10 grand difference new.

It was mentioned in the OP, so I reckon it's perfectly justified to bring it up. Plus the thread is about moving on from the Clio and that's what I moved on to! I see you also mention price, well I paid 14 grand for my Clio and I'll leave you to guess how much I paid for the Golf (clue: between 13 and 15 grand)

It was mentioned in the OP, so I reckon it's perfectly justified to bring it up. Plus the thread is about moving on from the Clio and that's what I moved on to! I see you also mention price, well I paid 14 grand for my Clio and I'll leave you to guess how much I paid for the Golf (clue: between 13 and 15 grand)

My point was sayin the clio is one-dimensional and no good on motorway is like sayin I won't buy a Porsche GT3 cause theres no room for my shopping from Tesco. Your right but your kind of wrong. Clio was made to be one dimensional and neva a motorway muncher I think. The Golf suits your change of circumstance I guess which is not a reflection of the clio, its a change in what you want from a car. Golf does all of those things very well and thats why they sell so many of them. Just my opinion. Oh, my comment on price was based on from new. You can nearly buy 2 RS200 for the price of a fully spec R Golf.....

I have read through this post very carefully, as recently I have been pondering a change as well. With the warranty period at an end, I just dont know if I can trust the car to be reliable. I have had so many little niggly things fixed under warranty that it will always be in the back of my mind I think. I love the way it drives and sounds ( especially with the ktec exhaust on! ), but I am eager to swap for something else.

I have narrowed it down to 4 possibilities:

BMW 330/335D Coupe - Looks great, Fast, economical, comfortable, reasonable running costs but every other car on the road seems to be a BMW.

Peugoet RCZ THP200 GT - Looks great, Good reviews, low running costs, rare, but they are as much as a 3 series coupe to buy and will lose shed loads in value in comparison.

Megane 250 ( with cup chassis ) - Fast, drives well, but I think they will be thirsty and I am not 100 % swayed over the way they look, or whether the build quality will last any better than my R27.

Clio 200 ( with cup chassis ) - Quick, drives well, cheapish to run, but is it different enough from what I have to justify it? And again build quality and dealer network issues are putting me off.

In an ideal world, Renaultsport would build a car that looks like the BMW, drives like the Meg/Clio and has the running costs of the Peugeot...........

Everything is good points, Adrian you have put some good points on the table, you too Arran.

Litchy has probably hit the clio right on the head too with his thought on it.

I sold my 197 back in oct 08 and that was replaced by a Mk1 MX5 which was turned into a race car. I then bought a Octavia as a daily runner but I simply can't live with such a dull car so I'm back to a 200. I always thought the fun of the race car would compensate for the dull road car but it doesn't.

I had looked at several different cars before deciding on the 200. My opinions below:

MX5 2.0 Sport Mk3 - +Cheap to buy/run, good handling, fun -Not the quickest, small, image
E9x M3 - +V8, more than enough space, good handling - Cost to buy/run, image, not, as fun to drive
AM V8 Vantage - +Sounds amazing, looks stunning, reasonable running cost for its class -Costs, I will get nervous leaving it anywhere
NSX facelift - + Great handling, very rare -Hard to find, expensive compared to others

Ultimately nothing came close to the 200 for VFM. It is great fun to drive on the road/track and cheap to run by comparison.

I think the 200 will be here for at least 2 years if I keep the race car. If not then I will keep the 200 as a daily and get something more exotic to sit next to it.

My point was sayin the clio is one-dimensional and no good on motorway is like sayin I won't buy a Porsche GT3 cause theres no room for my shopping from Tesco. Your right but your kind of wrong. Clio was made to be one dimensional and neva a motorway muncher I think. The Golf suits your change of circumstance I guess which is not a reflection of the clio, its a change in what you want from a car. Golf does all of those things very well and thats why they sell so many of them. Just my opinion. Oh, my comment on price was based on from new. You can nearly buy 2 RS200 for the price of a fully spec R Golf.....

My circumstances haven't changed, just got bored of the 197. Oh and a fully specced Golf R is over 40 grand, so you could get a nicely specced 200 and a nicely specced 250 to go with it!

My circumstances haven't changed, just got bored of the 197. Oh and a fully specced Golf R is over 40 grand, so you could get a nicely specced 200 and a nicely specced 250 to go with it!

....bored of the 197, drives a VW but still posts comments like "197 are one-dimensional and how great the golf is" on a Renault forum. I'm confused...Maybe I need to put down the crack-pipe? lol

I sold my 197 back in oct 08 and that was replaced by a Mk1 MX5 which was turned into a race car. I then bought a Octavia as a daily runner but I simply can't live with such a dull car so I'm back to a 200. I always thought the fun of the race car would compensate for the dull road car but it doesn't.

I had looked at several different cars before deciding on the 200. My opinions below:

MX5 2.0 Sport Mk3 - +Cheap to buy/run, good handling, fun -Not the quickest, small, image
E9x M3 - +V8, more than enough space, good handling - Cost to buy/run, image, not, as fun to drive
AM V8 Vantage - +Sounds amazing, looks stunning, reasonable running cost for its class -Costs, I will get nervous leaving it anywhere
NSX facelift - + Great handling, very rare -Hard to find, expensive compared to others

Ultimately nothing came close to the 200 for VFM. It is great fun to drive on the road/track and cheap to run by comparison.

I think the 200 will be here for at least 2 years if I keep the race car. If not then I will keep the 200 as a daily and get something more exotic to sit next to it.

I find it hard to believe that if you have a wallet to stretch to some of those motors you ended up with a 200?

Eh....!!!! I like the 200 but more than a V8 Vantage? Maybe I'm not the only one who should put down the crack pipe!!!! I'm off to bed

Last edited:
....bored of the 197, drives a VW but still posts comments like "197 are one-dimensional and how great the golf is" on a Renault forum. I'm confused...Maybe I need to put down the crack-pipe? lol

I owned it for over 2 years, got bored of it and moved onto something else. Is it really that hard for you to understand such a concept?

Always makes me laugh on these one make forums how everyone thinks their car is the all-time best and nothing else comes close. :s

Righto, I'll be offski then, as a reasoned viewpoint is obviously not required here. I'll close the door on my way out, as I know how your brilliant cars like to bunnyhop down the road if they get a bit cold!

I owned it for over 2 years, got bored of it and moved onto something else. Is it really that hard for you to understand such a concept?

Always makes me laugh on these one make forums how everyone thinks their car is the all-time best and nothing else comes close. :s

Righto, I'll be offski then, as a reasoned viewpoint is obviously not required here. I'll close the door on my way out, as I know how your brilliant cars like to bunnyhop down the road if they get a bit cold!

Taxi for Simon....

Handbags at dawn! Lol! Is that how you spell dawn or is that just the name of a lady? Lol! I think what it boils down to is value and entertainment per £. And as many motoring journalists also agree that the Clio fits this criteria the best and when you own one, its kind of hard not to praise the car. Basically, I think the biggest problem with people moving on from their RS Clio is that you simply can't find the same kind of enjoyment level, costs, looks etc for the same kind of money or running cost.
Personally, I have no idea what I'll replace mine with, but I will more than likely be forced to buy a diesel estate in a couple of years! Lol!

Last edited:
Handbags at dawn! Lol! Is that how you spell dawn or is that just the name of a lady? Lol! I think what it boils down to is value and entertainment per £. And as many motoring journalists also agree that the Clio fits this criteria the best and when you own one, its kind of hard not to praise the car. Basically, I think the biggest problem with people moving on from their RS Clio is that you simply can't find the same kind of enjoyment level, costs, looks etc for the same kind of money or running cost.
Personally, I have no idea what I'll replace mine with, but I will more than likely be forced to buy a diesel estate in a couple of years! Lol!

Nah, just a bit of a laugh. Think sometimes people on forums take themselves far too seriously. I've only been on the forum about a month and its been 'priceless' on helping to get car back on the road.
Really value peoples input. I can really understand when someones sells a car they loved, but their circumstances changed (company car, bigger car etc) so they stay in contact cause they have a interest in the car and the people that drive them. I guess everyone on a Porsche forum don't own or ever owned one. But to come on a forum after you've changed your car to tell everyone how better the new one is and how limited the old one was...and its not even a Renault??? Not feelin' that at all. I'm sure there are VW sites (Simon) that will be more than willing to listen to his tales of "bunny hopping Clios..."

Last edited: