Which springs

Hi guys, I'm looking to lower my mk3 ph2 1.2 on springs but I'm unsure which to go for. I have explored the coil over route but I could only get second hand with my budget and as my dampers are shot, I would still have to buy new dampers when selling the car. I don't want to waste loads of cash on a 1.2.
Which springs do people rate? They will be going with a fresh set of bilstein b4 shocks. I know I can get the fk springs for around the £70 mark but I'm sceptical over these ruining the ride. I commute over snakes pass weekly so I'm looking for performance as well as lows. What is everyone using?

Dom

Welcome to the forum Dom. Eibach and H&R seem to be popular on here. Have a look in the Trader Section of the forum - some of the sellers on there will have what you are looking for :smile:

Hi Dom, welcome.

IMO avoid cheap brands especially when it comes to springs. H&R has always been my choice, they work really well with the standard shocks too.

I made the mistake of buying some FK coilovers for an Audi once and I think the ride and handing would have been better if I had just taken an angle grinder to me OE springs just like in the old days.

Im not a H&R rep, honest... but they were my choice. I think the drop was 30F/40R.

My H&Rs have made a massive difference to both the looks and handling of my Clio! I would definitely recommend them!

We can do that kit for £133 delivered (mainland UK)
Daim... Sounds like a good deal, only wish I'd shopped around when I bought mine.

9417600B-6185-4A81-8365-4F7A126C385E.jpg

6DFB12D2-3B90-4245-8BE7-FC1B807F7147.jpg

BA3FF57C-7EC3-47AE-BA01-F5B1D1AECE9B.jpg

I'm on 20mm spacers. IMO any more is too much, especially if you want to protect your rear quarters from stone chips.

We can do that kit for £133 delivered (mainland UK)

That Sounds Great Fernandez. I will be hitting you up soon. Do you do the Bilstein B4 dampers too? Or any other similar priced that you rate.

Daim... Sounds like a good deal, only wish I'd shopped around when I bought mine.

BA3FF57C-7EC3-47AE-BA01-F5B1D1AECE9B.jpg

I'm on 20mm spacers. IMO any more is too much, especially if you want to protect your rear quarters from stone chips.

Love this shot! Those springs fit the 1.2 so you didn't miss out on a bargain [MENTION=52258]Wells[/MENTION] :wink: What spacers are you using?

Dom

That Sounds Great Fernandez. I will be hitting you up soon. Do you do the Bilstein B4 dampers too? Or any other similar priced that you rate.

Love this shot! Those springs fit the 1.2 so you didn't miss out on a bargain @Wells :wink: What spacers are you using?

Dom

20mm spacers on mine mate.

Sorry i meant what brand buddy, i know yours are 5 bolt but i'm sure they'l make 4s

Don't forget to call people like this:
[MENTION=51925]Dom_Capper[/MENTION]

With a little @ symbol at the start and then their usernames. You get the idea. The quote notification on this forum isn't particularly good.

Cheers for the heads up [MENTION=51445]Kazumz[/MENTION] . Really friendly bunch on here. My car is on 75k now, do I need to change my top mounts too?

Cheers for the heads up @Kazumz . Really friendly bunch on here. My car is on 75k now, do I need to change my top mounts too?

I'm not really a mechanic myself to be honest. I only know the basics. I'd assume you don't need to change them unless you need to change them though?

If you're on about getting new springs, they should just go straight on without purchasing any other components. I think the top mounts changed in 2011 or so? If so, the website you're purchasing from should accomodate both spring types if there is any difference. Cazan 99.9% should as they specialize here (as you can see through Fernandez)

Cheers Kazumz,

Next dilemma guys, sorry. My front dampers and absolutely shot so now is the perfect time to upgrade. Fernandez has given me a price for Bilstein B6 and B8s, the B8s being shorter dampers for lowering springs. My problem is, when i come to sell the car many buyers frown upon lowered cars so i'll have to switch back to standard springs. The Bilstein website says the longer B6s are only suitable for upto 30mm springs and i was planning on using H&Rs (45mm).

On the flip side if i go for the short B8s, when i put the stock springs back on am i correct in thinking they will have loads of preload and ruin the ride.

Has anyone used 45mm springs on standard or B6 dampers? Any issues?

What would you do? I want to get these ordered asap.

Cheers

Dom