Which gearbox oil are you using ? (2017)

What gearbox oil are you using in your RENAULT sport Clio ?

• ELF NFJ

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • ELF NFP

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Fuchs Sintofluid

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Redline MTL

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Castrol Syntrans

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Red line MT-90

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
So GL4 is standard spec then . Just not heard any one mention it when talking about elf oil.

GL4 will 100% be safe in these boxes and it's what Renault suggest.

Many say GL5 will be too. But it's the GL5 that causes the questions; some saying it's ok; others saying avoid........

If I’m 100% honest I think the Castrol Syntrans and Redline will provide a slightly smoother feeling box: but the Elf stuff is a good solid choice and if all is well with your box - you’ll have no issues at all with it.
Cheers.

What's the best place to get Redline, similar price?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Cheers.

What's the best place to get Redline, similar price?

Speaking from experience I found the difference (positively) very noticeably different with the Redline in compared to the Elf. Was also highly recommended to me by a Clio gearbox ‘technician’....

I got mine from eBay. It’s £40 for the two quarts you’ll need.

As I say though - there’s nothing at all wrong with the Elf :smile:

Speaking from experience I found the difference (positively) very noticeably different with the Redline in compared to the Elf. Was also highly recommended to me by a Clio gearbox ‘technician’....

I got mine from eBay. It’s £40 for the two quarts you’ll need.

As I say though - there’s nothing at all wrong with the Elf :smile:
Thanks.

This the right stuff?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/162406333656

Just changed mine yesterday from the original oil to Elf NFP.
1st/reverse has been stiff when the box is cold.
Disappeared in a five minutes tbh.

Trying fresh oil in the box first before doing anything else/living with it.

Early indicators are good for the new NFP in the box.
I'll be cold starting later on today and report back the initial feel and selection of R/1st/2nd

Just changed mine yesterday from the original oil to Elf NFP.
1st/reverse has been stiff when the box is cold.
Disappeared in a five minutes tbh.

Trying fresh oil in the box first before doing anything else/living with it.

Early indicators are good for the new NFP in the box.
I'll be cold starting later on today and report back the initial feel and selection of R/1st/2nd

What's involved in changing oil. Is it done from above or below. Can't even see gearbox above . I've not jacked it up for a look yet. Elf should be here mon/ tue

So I put ELF NFJ in, it made it stiff when cold.
I have just ordered some ELF NFP as people on here have said it helps.

So I would give that a go.

Reactions: JMR and Big Ben
What's involved in changing oil. Is it done from above or below. Can't even see gearbox above . I've not jacked it up for a look yet. Elf should be here mon/ tue

Might be a guide on here actually.
You have to jack car up and remove the n/s front wheel
This gives access to the plastic wing nut (filling point) on the side of the gearbox, its screwed in horizontally.

The drain plug is underneath the gearbox.
Drain the box, then replace the drain plug and washer.
Use some rubber/plastic tubing fixed to a funnel and top the gearbox oil level up from above using the filling point.
When oil level is high enough it will start to come out of the filler hole.
Then replace the plastic wing nut and hand tighten. Don't over tighten as you could snap it or strip the threads.

Used to run Redline MTL 75W-80

But have recently moved to MT-90. Mainly due to the slightly higher viscosity and the GL4 - Purposely designed for the brass sycnros. However I can't cast my vote as it's not any option :smile:
I started running this earlier in the year and I know quite a few people have moved to it now and Northloopcup who rebuilds Clio boxes has started to recommend it to people who's box's he's built.

Used to run Redline MTL 75W-80

But have recently moved to MT-90. Mainly due to the slightly higher viscosity and the GL4 - Purposely designed for the brass sycnros. However I can't cast my vote as it's not any option :smile:
I started running this earlier in the year and I know quite a few people have moved to it now and Northloopcup who rebuilds Clio boxes has started to recommend it to people who's box's he's built.
Tom,feel free to vote now..yours has been added..:thumb: