Which car to get? Ideas please

Id get a mk5 golf GTI, great car. Or An ST.

Really wasn't impressed by the Golf myself. Quickish and felt solid but it was just so bloody bland and so boring to drive. Absolutely no thrill from it whatsoever, the engine sounds crap, the exhaust sounds crap (even by FI standards). They're a very softcore car, by that I mean they're made to sell not made to be driven.

ST's are nice though, I know one for sale at the moment running a very reliable 320BHP. It's had about £6,000 worth of parts on it and it's immaculate, the lad is really OCD about it. Think he's after £8,000, might even consider a swap for your Clio (vivid white)...

E?? is the BMW chassis code mate.

The first 3 Series were E30, the mid-90s saw the E36, then '98-'07 ish was the E46 and finally the current chassis shape is the E92. So when somebody says E46 M3, they mean an M3 of that age, so a late '90s/early '00s age and shape car...

Looks like somebody forgot the F30 :oops:

E92 was the coupe btw, the model you are referring to is generally known as E90 :oops:

[/pedant mode]

Last edited:
Looks like somebody forgot the E90 :oops:

Nope, just extremely rare to actually see an E90 M3, they didn't make that many.

E90 has four doors, E92 has two doors and E93 has no roof. :wink:

*EDIT*

And there isn't an F30 M3 yet... :tongueout:

Last edited:
Sorry for being so picky, I just need something to do to fill the time seeing as we don't have NW meets anymore :hug: :kiss:

I'm sorry :innocent:

Please can you tell me if when you click 'New Posts' at the top, is it supposed to display every single thread that's been updated since your last visit or does it just do threads from certain sections? I've just looked in the NW section and see that there was a meet about 15 mins from my house a couple of weeks back and I was completely unaware of :worried:.

E?? is the BMW chassis code mate.

The first 3 Series were E30, the mid-90s saw the E36, then '98-'07 ish was the E46 and finally the current chassis shape is the E92. So when somebody says E46 M3, they mean an M3 of that age, so a late '90s/early '00s age and shape car...

It's like how Porsche still use the model name 911, but the chassis codes are 930, 964, 993, 996, 997 etc., depending on the age of the vehicle. Think of it as Renault using the Clio name for the last twenty years, we just call it Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Mk4, etc..

Of course there are a few variants of each shape M3. The E46 CSL pretty much being the ultimate driving machine (excuse the pun). But they still command £20,000+ for a well looked after one. Where as an M3 or M3 EVO of the same age can be picked up for £8,000-12,000 now.

hmmm interesting cheers willis...

i do like these cars but if anything goes wrong!!! plus it would just a say fit in my garage but i'd have to sleep in it as i wouldn't be able to get out...

I quite like my MPS and they're really rare. I think I have seen 5 other mk 2s since I bought mine a year ago. It depends what you want from a car though, you're not going to get another car that is as fun to drive as the Clio. The MPS is faster by far in a straight line, but it's much easier to reach the limits of it's grip than the Clio ever was. The MPS is packed with equipment, it's really well kitted out.

I've started taking to the Vauxhall Insignia VXRs recently, they've got some serious power and speed and can be had cheaply now. But they are expensive to run, so it's always difficult when you look to replace your performance car.

The A3 you mentioned might be a tad boring when you have been used to the Clio.

I've felt the same for about a year now, looking to move on from the 197 but really can't find anything that's going to give the same thrills and practicality.

I would get an S2000 but insurance is mega
E46 M3 or Z4M appeal but won't be as fun
135i/335i even less fun than the Ms
Elise doesn't have any practicality/comfort so needs to be a second car
Megane 250 not as fun
Focus ST not as fun
Golf gti/r32 not as fun
Boxster, I'd get one but my parents have one!

Based on my list of rejects, boxster's are worth a look and you can get cheaper ones within your budget

Evening All,

Still wanting to sell the Clio but after buying a new house recently and putting a new kitchen and bathroom in my time has really been taken up and because of this my replacement requirements have changed aswell.

I could do with having a cheaper car for alittle while......not so much cheaper to run but something under £4000. I have been looking at two cars in particular the Clio 182 and the Peugeot 206 GTI 180. I know the 182 is the better car but the 206 is a pretty cool car (in my opinion anyway).

Just thought I would open this back up for discussion and see what people think based on my new criteria.

Thanks
James

Id avoid the 206 like the plague.... infact, id rather the plague!

182, E46 Bimmer, Seat Leon???? would be my choices!

Id avoid the 206 like the plague.... infact, id rather the plague!

182, E46 Bimmer, Seat Leon???? would be my choices!

What makes you say that about the 206?

I had a 206 Sport (auto) before my Clio and found it to be a solid car.

Just not a fan, found the 182 a far superior car in everyway. Seem to remember a particular hatred of the gearbox!

Dont do it!

I test drove some sensible cars and some not sensible cars and decided id miss the clio way too much. Nothing felt special. The 123d was quick mind!