what track day insurance

MORIS. :smile:

A girl called Kirstin looks after me and she's good as gold. The level of cover is excellent, they cover mechanical damage and not just cosmetic/bodywork damage like some TD insurers (check the small print). I pay £89 I think and declare all of my modifications which they also cover. Any car under a value of £30,000 is the same price, anything over that jumps up a bit. You can also arrange home recovery through them for a little extra just incase but I don't bother with that as I'm in the trade anyway.

Is it worth it? Yes. Put it like this, there's no third party liability on track. So if you had Jonny Nobhead turn up in a £500 sh!tter and write your car off and you're not insured then you're on your own. Likewise, if you're unlucky and have a moment and manage to somehow collect Kevin Moneybags in his F430 but you're insured and he isn't... Guess what, you get your car fixed by the insurer and he's left to cry into his wallet if he hasn't insured himself.

For just over the price of a tank of fuel it's peace of mind. :smile:

Only time I've ever insured it was through Greenlight when I was insured on the road with them, was easy to do but can't comment on how good it is necessarily as I didn't bin it :smiley:

http://www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk/ is one that just does it without a road policy.

4 out of 5 times I went last year though I didn't bother with it though, some would say this is stupid but I trust myself to not do something too stupid and am observant enough to avoid other idiots too.

The problem with using your road insurer is;

You stack it on track, then you lose your road NCB.

That doesn't happen if you insure yourself with a dedicated insurance company.

The problem with using your road insurer is;

You stack it on track, then you lose your road NCB.

That doesn't happen if you insure yourself with a dedicated insurance company.

Tbh I won't be bothering via them again as the current broker wants £85ish for a day, so it doesn't make it worth while. I think it's Highways that will do the cover for £50 though under them so it's pretty cheap really.

Didn't know about the NCB though.....

Yeah that's per day Jonesy. But they do a package where if you book 3 or 5 lots of insurance for the year then the price drops. Then you just ring up with the dates you want covering as and when you know which days you're doing. I've not used a block booking like that myself yet though as it's a new service from them. I've been using them for about five years now though.

The Ring is on a completely different scale, really unless your car is insured with a German insurance company then you're on your own. There are a few companies that will offer you insurance but from what I've heard the excess can be laughable. To give you an idea, if you rent a car there you can get a prepared car from around £500 per day but your excess will be roughly £5,000!!! It's ridiculous, they will charge you for everything if you have an off, I'm sure there was a VXR Astra not that long ago with a ~£30,000 bill from The Ring. F?cketh that!!!

It all just depends wether you have the cash reserves to fix any potential damage in the event of an off. I don't, so I get insurance because you can NEVER predict what will happen in the course of a day and you can NEVER underestimate the stupidity of some people once the horns come out and they think they're the next Matt Neal. If you got a blowout and stacked it then instead of a tyre you could be looking at a front end, is it worth not taking out insurance? For me, no it isn't. However I didn't bother at Bedford for How Fast and I won't bother this time there either, purely because of how few cars are on and how much room for error there is. But at Oulton Park for example, when you get it wrong, you get it very wrong.

Yeah that's per day Jonesy. But they do a package where if you book 3 or 5 lots of insurance for the year then the price drops. Then you just ring up with the dates you want covering as and when you know which days you're doing. I've not used a block booking like that myself yet though as it's a new service from them. I've been using them for about five years now though.

The Ring is on a completely different scale, really unless your car is insured with a German insurance company then you're on your own. There are a few companies that will offer you insurance but from what I've heard the excess can be laughable. To give you an idea, if you rent a car there you can get a prepared car from around £500 per day but your excess will be roughly £5,000!!! It's ridiculous, they will charge you for everything if you have an off, I'm sure there was a VXR Astra not that long ago with a ~£30,000 bill from The Ring. F?cketh that!!!

It all just depends wether you have the cash reserves to fix any potential damage in the event of an off. I don't, so I get insurance because you can NEVER predict what will happen in the course of a day and you can NEVER underestimate the stupidity of some people once the horns come out and they think they're the next Matt Neal. If you got a blowout and stacked it then instead of a tyre you could be looking at a front end, is it worth not taking out insurance? For me, no it isn't. However I didn't bother at Bedford for How Fast and I won't bother this time there either, purely because of how few cars are on and how much room for error there is. But at Oulton Park for example, when you get it wrong, you get it very wrong.

I'm going to be driving like a female around the ring now :smiley:

This is true, however a lot of insurers exclude the 'ring in their policies if you read the small print, its not just Admiral.

Something along the lines of 'unrestricted toll road' just to cover themselves.

No English insurer will do the ring unless its a separate policy.4 of us didn't have it when we went and you do have that in the back of your mind. Don't be stupid and respect it and you will be fine. If not then there are insures on the net you can find that do cover with around a 500 excess :smile:

Competition car insurance also good - very efficient. Slightly lower excess but slightly more expensive - approx £100 per day.

Gonna try a quote from Morris for Anglesey in case I end up in the north sea.