What to look for??

Hey all,

Completely new to the world of clios and I'm in the market for my next hot hatch. Having had a cooper s before, I'm interested in the R27. I have had a look for faults etc but can anyone advise what I should be looking out for when buying a 197?

Thanks

Welcome to the site

Look for lots of wear on the side bolster of the Recaro's and very lumpy gearbox's. Some of them have very bad ones

Thanks guys!!

Ok so far:

1. Recaro seat wear on bolsters
2. Gearbox 'lumpy'

Can I ask, what is the main problem with the gearboxes? Is it a major fault or relatively easily fixed? Is it v common?

Cheers :bounce:

Thanks guys!!

Ok so far:

1. Recaro seat wear on bolsters
2. Gearbox 'lumpy'

Can I ask, what is the main problem with the gearboxes? Is it a major fault or relatively easily fixed? Is it v common?

Cheers :bounce:

I don't think its that common but a problem, it's a replacement really so not easy. Be aware of one if you struggle to get in it first and second in particular

Not many common faults, a few little niggles like the seal between the front doors and the rear window falling off and/or splitting, which don't tend to cause any leaks anyway. And just the usual Renault rattles. But these cars are absolutely amazing to drive and are lots of fun. Welcome to the site and good luck with the hunt for the car.

Hey all,

Completely new to the world of clios and I'm in the market for my next hot hatch. Having had a cooper s before, I'm interested in the R27. I have had a look for faults etc but can anyone advise what I should be looking out for when buying a 197?

Thanks

What to look out for? Being gobsmacked. If you're not, you're not driving it hard enough. Over 5k rpm is where you want to be. If you like that then the Clio is for you. Lazy power look elsewhere (boring turbos:wink:)

WOW, everyone has been very welcoming. Very much appreciated!

I guess the only thing that is putting me off is the gearbox issue...especially because if I buy one, it's probably not going to have any warranty left. I can cope with the other niggles as I have with every other car I have owned.

At the moment it's between a 197 or a Type R. The mini had its fair share of problems so not going back there lol!

Any further comments appreciated :smile:

It's a renault, check for rattles and unusual noises it might creak slightly over bumpy roads but mainly they are very quiet ( apart from the engine/exhaust noise :smile: ).

Check the exhaust mounts are solid (should be just pop your head under the back), have a good play with the wheels make sure there's no excessive play and the front tyres/brakes are in good nick as they get a hard life.

Check the oil, it should be fairly lightish brown even close to service time if it's black and full of crud then eep!

Make sure all the electronics work, check the air con pipes fairly cold as that could be expensive.

Could go on, one thing you want to do is definitely take it over 5k rpm and make sure it pulls well and there are no unusual noises apparent there once warm.

/edit,when checking the gearbox let the car warm up before making judgement they can be quite stiff when cold and I find at least in mine you have to be quite firm with it.

Type R wise, unless your looking at EK9s (sex on wheels) don't bother, the FD2s are slow and handle like a boat and the EP3s are only marginally faster on a straight but also handle like a shopping trolley (they're also a lot more expensive to buy/insure)

Last edited:
There are some used ones with extended warranty :wink: like ours.........
Good luck with the search, the only problem we've had with ours was the keyless button on the door handle packing up, but Renault covered that without a worry!
As for the gearbox, I thinks like any car, boxes go with the wring type of punishment.

Hello :smile:

I have the clio 197 cup and I wouldn't turn back had a few problems with him but usual wear and tear... The gearbox I have that problem but they are just very stiff to start with but once down the road everything is easy and the gears go straight in.. Little bit of warming and your away..

Four of my friends have the fiesta ST, Mini cooper S, Corsa VXR and Civic Type R... Obvious reason we all play in each others car but quoted by everyone mine is the most fun... Like said above its not for the lazy but that what I love very deceiving with a little bit of slow start but hits 4-5K and you may as well say bye bye!

One thing to be aware of is the fuel consumption, it isn't great.

Bolsters on standard seats are also prone to wear, as are steering wheels.

Work out how important the spec is to you, things like climate and xenons can't be retrofitted. Projector lights can be retrofitted but the cornering lamps won't work.

Make sure both key cards work, they are quite expensive to replace, also check the lock buttons and unlock sensors on both front doors.

Check that the wipers operate freely.

Cambelt is 5 yrs / 72k miles, and is expensive.

Generally avoid cars with aftermarket induction systems, these Clios don't like them.

That is probably about all I can think of off the top of my head.

This is all great info, thanks!

Really need to try and get a wee shot of one now before I make up my mind.

With the R27, how easy is it to detail/wax the car around the decals, specifically the roof? Can the roof decal be removed?

Any of the decals can be removed, but there is an argument that you loose some of the character of the car. R27's will tend to go for a premium over a similarly spec'd 197, when you remove the decals you potentially remove that differentiator and therefore the value premium.