197: What to buy for £150 - £200?

vivid white

Platinum Member
I'm stuck for ideas now....I know £150-£200 isn't a lot in the scheme of things but I would like ideas of where to go next with my 197.

Since I brought my Clio in March 2011 I have made some fairly big & subtle changes and I am very happy with the finished product. (A bit of money has been spent on just correcting bad decisions made by the last owner!)

Anyway what should I buy next? I have millions of ideas of what I would like to do and just cannot decide.......I would like my car to sit a bit lower but I hear some people say just buying springs isn't a good idea. Is this correct? The work involved with changing things like this scares me a little as well but if I never attempt it ill never get it done.

Just like some expert Clio 197 opinions please....getting more on the performance side doesn't really interest me at this stage because the 197 still puts a smile on my face whenever I put my foot down but making the car a lot more WOW on the visual side of things interests me.

Thanks in advance.
James

Springs will be fine mate, many praise them on here, that would be my choice. On your budget its a bit limited but lowering will make it look a lot better. Or maybe a track day?

Im in the process of lowering, wheel refurb, just removed my exhuast silencer, different spoiler, all cheap good mods in my eyes while saving for the real thing??

Thanks for the reply. What should I be looking for in springs? Sort of do's and dont's. Which makes? Can anyone supply any links? To be honest a track day doesn't appeal to me at the minute but im sure that day will come hahahaha.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Well I have had my wheels returned, cup spoiler fitted, carbon wrapped dash, auto dim mirror plus many other things but just love the look of some of the lowered car on the forum.

Thanks very much for the link. Are these easy to fit or is it garage/professional job? Do anyone on the forum have them fitted and has pics? Thanks

Thanks very much for the link. Are these easy to fit or is it garage/professional job? Do anyone on the forum have them fitted and has pics? Thanks

Theres loads pics on here just do a search mate. They look good. I have lowered all my cars myself, there is a how too on here, its not hard at all if you have the right tools and time.

If you want to tackle it on your own a garage will charge you around 3 hours work, over £100!!

Gareth.

I have eibachs and am pretty happy with them. Ride is slightly harsher than standard but they're stiffer so what can you expect! Less dive under braking and makes the car look a million times better so I'm happy.

I wrote a how to which is on here, not an easy job but give it a go before paying someone else a lot of money to do it for you. Most garages don't realise how long this job takes on the 197 so will under quote you until you go to pick it up!

I did read your how to and it looks like a right mission to be honest. I just don't have the know how/confidence to tackle that sort of thing. I would basically end up with a 197 in bits on my drive. HaHa. I'll have to have an ask around and see if I can get any help.

I'm also open to other ideas of what to do with my Clio.

I have eibachs and am pretty happy with them. Ride is slightly harsher than standard but they're stiffer so what can you expect! Less dive under braking and makes the car look a million times better so I'm happy.

I wrote a how to which is on here, not an easy job but give it a go before paying someone else a lot of money to do it for you. Most garages don't realise how long this job takes on the 197 so will under quote you until you go to pick it up!

having EIBACH pros today at demon tweeks ...at a cost of about £315 labour parts and tracking...getting these as high speed bumps around here.hope not to harsh,will i notice the ride height only 20 mm front 30mm rear ??[take a photo first]

Eibachs or h and r for springs

Could get spacers? Personally I'd do 20-25mm all around but some people like 16mm (hubcentric spacers FTW)

Some ideas from other threads I've seen in the past

Alcantara wheel
Armrest
Stero
Alcantara dash strips and gear nob
Wind deflectors
Silver visions
Gloss black door handles/mirror caps/bullets/diffuser
Roof wrap
Tints
Renaultsport cup spoiler sticker (see jase)
Silicone hoses (search exon)
Carbon wrap badges/battery cover/dash trims/ door trims etc
Cover headliner/a-b and c pillars/ parcel shelf
Flocking?

Many ideas be creative, something new?

Real carbon mirror caps or the badge set (2 diamonds,2 bullets) are both in your budget.

It does make the ride much more firm. Speed bumps are best tackled at lower speeds too... Worth it IMO....