What is possible?

This is just general interest.
I understand that chasing decent power out of the Clio unit is a lot of money. And even supercharging doesn't gain that much power. So people move a meg engine in.
My question is, people put a meg 225 engine in or the engine from a r26r (which is more powerful and has LSD). But is it possible to put a meg engine from the newer meg? The 250 or the 265 which would also have a LSD? Has it been done?

why do you need the whole 225 engine, surely you could buy all the meg ancillaries and turbo and connect it to the 197 engine, or are the compression ratio's different etc

This is just general interest.
I understand that chasing decent power out of the Clio unit is a lot of money. And even supercharging doesn't gain that much power. So people move a meg engine in.
My question is, people put a meg 225 engine in or the engine from a r26r (which is more powerful and has LSD). But is it possible to put a meg engine from the newer meg? The 250 or the 265 which would also have a LSD? Has it been done?

I do. Been in the car for nearly 2 years now. Oh R26R is a stripped out R26 but its the same power. 265 is the same as 250, just a bit of mapping and the foam taken out the airbox.

I do. Been in the car for nearly 2 years now. Oh R26R is a stripped out R26 but its the same power. 265 is the same as 250, just a bit of mapping and the foam taken out the airbox.

Wow never knew that. So is there a big difference between the 225 engine and the 250/265? Can you put a 250/265 engine in the clio with a r26r gearbox for the LSD?

The normal R26 has a LSD, so you don't need the one from a R26:R!

Have a look in the forced induction section of the forum :smile:

why do you need the whole 225 engine, surely you could buy all the meg ancillaries and turbo and connect it to the 197 engine, or are the compression ratio's different etc

This is perfectly possible and I'm told the head and inlet are a better design however the compression ratio is wrong but you should still get decent power from it although I don't think it would be that cost affective as you'd have to buy a fairly expensive ecu to run the engine as I dowt the standard one would be up to the job and you may have to remove the engine to fit oil feed and return

i think the cheapest way to performance is to buy a meg and use all the parts you need then sell what you don't need

however if I was to do mine again I'd defiantly fit a 250 engine due to the strength of the bottom end

This is perfectly possible and I'm told the head and inlet are a better design however the compression ratio is wrong but you should still get decent power from it although I don't think it would be that cost affective as you'd have to buy a fairly expensive ecu to run the engine as I dowt the standard one would be up to the job and you may have to remove the engine to fit oil feed and return

i think the cheapest way to performance is to buy a meg and use all the parts you need then sell what you don't need

however if I was to do mine again I'd defiantly fit a 250 engine due to the strength of the bottom end

197 runs a 11:1 compression...not even the newest d-I turbo engines run a compression that high....

Yeah it's not ideal but would physically work probably run similar sort of power to the turbo conversions that have been carried out on 197 engines I bet you could run 230 comfortably my Clio is 225-230 now and it's brilliant

Just an idea now but you could always fit 172/182 pistons to lower the compression ratio they'll withstand from what I've seen 270 bhp and the compression ratio should be spot on too from what I've seen or maybe even 225 pistons how cost effective it would be I don't know

Noob question- why is it relatively easy to boost a 1*2 engine but so difficult to boost a 197/200? Is it down to compression ratios?

Yeah it's not ideal but would physically work probably run similar sort of power to the turbo conversions that have been carried out on 197 engines I bet you could run 230 comfortably my Clio is 225-230 now and it's brilliant

Just an idea now but you could always fit 172/182 pistons to lower the compression ratio they'll withstand from what I've seen 270 bhp and the compression ratio should be spot on too from what I've seen or maybe even 225 pistons how cost effective it would be I don't know

What have you done to get 230bhp out of the std lump?

#edit# meg engine.. doh....

Last edited:
Yeah it's just a meg but it's awesome even like that and a massive over standard can't wait to get it mapped tho

i dont think hunk it's really any easier to turbo a smaller engine rather than a larger one the same work really is involved

Wow never knew that. So is there a big difference between the 225 engine and the 250/265? Can you put a 250/265 engine in the clio with a r26r gearbox for the LSD?

The 250s run a lower compression and stronger pistons/rods with a slightly bigger turbo along with VVT. There's a bit of a mapping limitation on 225/230 engines because too much torque kills them which is why the newer cars run a lower compression and stronger internals as it pushes the torque up the power band a bit from what I understand and gets around the issue.

But if you buy a 225 engine you could easily fit different internals to match or even better the newer engine and you can choose what turbo you want to match it.

The 250 has VVT, which cant be made to work in a conversion iirc. Not as if the 225/r26 engine is slow once modded and mapped anyway!