What do braided brake lines give you

For me they give consistency in pedal position no matter how hard you work the brakes. Consistency in pedal position means heel/toe changes are easier as the brake/throttle positions are always the same for each and every down change regardless of how hard you're pressing the pedal, or how hot you've got the brakes/fluid/lines.

Lots of people neglect the lines/fluid, throwing money at discs/pads instead.

But if the part that connects your right foot to the caliper pistons (lines/fluid) fails, it doesn't matter what pads/discs you're running...the brakes will be compromised as you can't get effective pressure on the disc.

Only had the one track outing in my 200 thus far, and I wasn't really working anything that hard...the brakes held up very well indeed.

I expect that I will have a few issues once confidence builds, and if that does happen, lines will be my first (and hopefully only) upgrade.

The standard 'rubber' hoses, over time deteriorate and flex or ballon if you like, this will give you a softer pedal.

The braided hose is still a rubber hose but the steel braiding over the rubber stops the 'flexing' and thus giving a firmer feel to the pedal.

Another thing of note is brake fluid, its hygroscopic which means it can absord water and over time it will, this will also give less feel to the brake pedal.

This really needs changing at least every two years or so, if you have old rubber hoses and old fluid, changing to braided hoses will mean bleeding the brakes and putting in new fluid, so you'll notice a difference right away.

You'd get a new pedal feel/better braking fitting new standard hoses and fluid but whilst your doing it you might as well fit braided hose.

I changed the fluid on my track day car every year and have fitted new rubber hoses twice as i could get them for about £7 each from the local motor factors.

Just to add to all of the above, they improve pedal feel (firmer), especially under repetitive braking (trackdays) and they will far outlast OEM items.

As 930Tech has already said, fresh fluid also brings about a similar firm feeling and I cannot stress how important it is to have it changed regularly. When it begins to absorb water it loses it's ability to resist heat and its chemical makeup physically changes (the water doesn't sit with the fluid like say two spirits in a cocktail, it mixes together like water and cordial) meaning that its behaviour changes when under pressure (ie; when you're ''on'' the brakes), leading to a reduction in braking power and efficiency.

I think on next service then it will be braided lines on the old girl even though the wife will not notice the difference lol

and here endeth the thread. :smile:

Yep nothing more to add. Except that the clio's pedal position is shocking bad for heel and toeing, the R3 and Cup racecars must use a different pedal box as the ones I've seen are different to the road cars.

Damn! 930tech has stolen my word

'Hygroscopic' is seriuos pub ammo

Strangly enough this is why brake fluid resevoirs are plastic as they do not induce condensation like stainless steel ones can

I think on next service then it will be braided lines on the old girl even though the wife will not notice the difference lol

don't forget the Motul RBF600 brake fluid to go with them :wink:

Yep nothing more to add. Except that the clio's pedal position is shocking bad for heel and toeing, the R3 and Cup racecars must use a different pedal box as the ones I've seen are different to the road cars.

Really?

I get on with it really well, either for just rolling my foot off to the side (when pootling about), or when properly pressing the brake and rotate my foot to use my heel.

Can't fault it.

+1. I find the positioning fine to be honest, but then I only have Size 7 feet.

The positioning might not be as suited to the ''more endowed'' amongst us. :smiley:

Well I'm size 9-10 and the spacing's nigh on perfect for me.

If I get a chance over the weekend...I'll make a video.

Pedal positions are fine for heal/toe for me and I'm sort of on the limits height wise for the Clio.

A serious note on braided lines

If you have them fitted make sure they don't foul the inside of the rim on full lock, the kits on the market don't re-use the cage assembly from the OEM lines so have to be carefully fitted.

I didn't see any need for braided lines on mine, and I did plenty of track days, brakes were always awesome.

I had them on the Puma and felt they made no difference whatsoever, other than being a right pain to fit while avoiding kinking and rubbing.

Track I wouldn't know....but daily driver, no difference IMO. Unfortunately like many mods, only the track exposes their true worth I'm guessing?

Please do as I struggle to do it also and have tried a number of ways.

+1

I dont like to sit back to far, my wrist rests on top of the wheel when arms are out streched and my legs slightly bent. I find that because the brake pedal is a lot higher than the throttle pedal its very awkward.

I've driven quite a few racecars and single steaters and none of them have ever had a pedal arrangement thats as out of line like in the clio. Granted you want the pedals to be level whilst you are braking but I do find the difference a bit to much for my feet

Last edited: