What after market wheels for cup racer geo/suspension

av4625

Paid Member
Anyone found reasonably priced after market wheels that fit with the cup racer setup?

Most after market stuff seems to have a lower offset, with the cup racer widening the front the lower offset would have the wheel in the arch I think?

Define 'fit' - depends on how much you like your outer arches and how far you're willing to go with other modifications to make more room.

Define 'reasonably priced' - depends on how much you want to spend, whether new or used, and what weight.

Have a read of my progress thread for an idea.

• Haha
Reactions: Beany and RSRowe
I know you should not believe everything you read on the internet, but, I thought that Cup Racers with their special front end had a wider track, and also had spacers on, together with 8J wheels. Is that correct?

Also, were the Cup racer cars bastardised to make the wider fit work just by cutting away the arches or making adjustments that we don't have on road spec cars?

Yes cup racers have wider track due to the EE brackets pushing everything outwards. See thread here for the explanation.

They ran the 17x8J Speedline wheels (ET68). Most genuine cup racers I've seen have their outer arches, arch liners and the back of the front bumper rubbed away, so they certainly didn't have perfect fitment from the factory.

Not sure if they ran spacers, I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: burrellbloke
No I run:

- OZ Ultraleggera 17x8J ET55
- Braid Fullrace A 17x8J ET50

No spacers

So the Cup Racer Speedlines (ET68) will sit 13mm and 18mm further into the arch respectively.

In all these shots of X85 Cup Cars you can see the rear of the front bumper has been rubbed away, presumably because of the increased caster, albeit the top of the wheel is tucked into the arch more because of the higher offset Speedline wheels compared to mine:d6b4b45f-2d8f-4788-97ed-f0fa26b09cc0.jpg

Racecarsdirect.com - X85 Clio Cup Race car 2012 UK

Racecarsdirect.com - Clio 3 X85 Cup car 2012

Racecarsdirect.com - Renault Clio Cup X85 race car

I know you should not believe everything you read on the internet, but, I thought that Cup Racers with their special front end had a wider track, and also had spacers on, together with 8J wheels. Is that correct?

Also, were the Cup racer cars bastardised to make the wider fit work just by cutting away the arches or making adjustments that we don't have on road spec cars?
Thats right. They have wider track by a little over 20mm or so. I believe they also ran a 5mm spacer and they did have the 8J wheel.

The speedline is ET68, but most aftermarket wheels you see for clios are around ET50-ET55 which would push the wheel out even further along with the wider track.

On my car I have the cup racer front end, I run 200 cup wheels atm which are 7.5J and I think still ET68 or similar to that at least. I too run the 5mm spacer.

This setup fits quite nicely and the 200 cup wheel is a good bit lighter than any other stock wheels. I don’t get very much rubbing at all. If I hit a curb hard the front bumper pops out between the bumper and wing. I haven’t strapped it in as I feel its more likely to break then. I’d rather just push it back in after a run.

I’d like 8j wheels with a similar offset to oem as thats what the cupracers were designed to work with, and so far it seems my only options are speedlines. But they are very heavy. Braid can do any offset on the forged 1 wheels. But silly money.

If I hit a curb hard the front bumper pops out between the bumper and wing. I haven’t strapped it in as I feel its more likely to break then. I’d rather just push it back in after a run.
I think all 197/200 bumpers are prone to popping out when they hit a kerb or bump hard enough.

Reactions: av4625
Yeah 5mm required if using the 8J as the EE bracket fouls on the rim, fairly sure it’s a fix rather than enhancement.
Good info! Didn't realise it was a fix, I just thought they chose to run it. Might try without on the 7.5J wheels

I can’t find where I read this now so don’t hold me to it, however I remember it being very tight with standard 7.5J.

Reactions: av4625
I ended up with some 2 forge , 7.2 kg each et58 17 x 8 and about £750 delivered but that was 18months / 2years ago , road car some track use

Attachments

• 81DFB512-5D26-4C2B-9E4A-A721DEBCC718.jpeg
    81DFB512-5D26-4C2B-9E4A-A721DEBCC718.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 52513628577_7148652638_o.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6407.jpeg
    IMG_6407.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18

Similar Thread Suggestions