uploading a video to youtbue

Does anyone know the best way to upload a video to youtube from the GoPro as it took me an hour to upload one earlier which is a joke!! :thumbdown:

Am afraid if you want the quality its gonna take a while.

It all depends on your internet connection. It usually takes me about 2 hours to upload each 10 minute clip of Knockhill vids.

Usually you need to compress videos, they are just big files though when you have 1080p video of several minutes.

Im running at 940 and 48fps I don't even know what software to use to put the video on to edit properly and then upload.

I use Sony Vegas Pro and render my videos using the Internet 1080p setting.

Its going to take ages to upload because most people in the UK have a tiny upload speed, now I got fiber internet I can upload at 980KB/s but before it was something like 100KB/s and would take hours.

If you reduce the quality to reduce the file size then once uploaded to youtube it can look crap.

As above regarding upload speed, but you can make some real savings on file size with a good video editing program. Remember that YouTube is going to convert your video to to a H264/MP4 format whether it's SD, 480P, 720P, 1080P or if you're lucky enough to own and use a 4K camera 4096x3072 pixels.

For instance a 720P video on YouTube has a bitrate around 2-2.9Mbps. A 1080P video is 3-4.3Mbps. It has to be this size so most peoples internet download speed can cope with it.

Have a look at this for an example. This is a short 1080P video I shot at the 2010 British GP. Only 23 seconds long but in it's native format it's 127.6MB.

01.jpg

Here it is in the timeline:

02.jpg

And when it comes to the output stage you can see that by saving it as a 1080P WMV at 8Mbps the end video is going to be 23MB. That's quite a saving before you upload to YouTube.

03.jpg

Say you encode as a H264 MP4 at 4.3Mbps (the maximum bitrate YouTube uses):

04.jpg

Well that's only 12MB. A saving of 115MB.

I've done this using Premiere CS5.5, but you should be able to get the same results with any good video editing software. I haven't used the Vegas family, but I would bet that the version starting at £80 will do all you want.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware