Turbo or SC

I am sure you guys must have had this question a few times?

Well as you can see in the new members section my cab is pretty much standard and I want to get some more out of her now due to out high air at this high altitude compressed air intake is the way to go.

what would be the best option a turbo or a supercharger? I will keep it low boost
would a supercharger even fit in the engine bay and which on will be best?

Thank you guys in advance

So far MikeyR27 is the only 1 on here with a working SC 197. Jonesy is having the lump from the Megane R26 put into his 197.

Both route have their benefits. Its just up to you which route you wanna go. Neither route will be cheap though.

If I was going to do it, which I really aren't, I would be supercharging rather than turbo. The one thing I dont like is the turbo lag. Still cant beat a tuned N/A IMO! With that 279bhp one posted last week maybe people will consider these engines tuneable...

So far MikeyR27 is the only 1 on here with a working SC 197. Jonesy is having the lump from the Megane R26 put into his 197.

Both route have their benefits. Its just up to you which route you wanna go. Neither route will be cheap though.

Either way puts another 60+bhp on clio. Mate says the supercharger sounds mental. Jonesy R26 transplant gives you more options with larger turbo, mapping and intercooler upgrades so could see 270-280 bhp stage 3 upgrade I'm guessing. Like N0ddie says like most things, comes down to £...
SC is £4000 fitted
R26 given that the engine and gearbox is about £1500 - 2000 grand alone, plus clutch upgrade, then additional parts and some fabrication including exhaust, then custom mapping....I'm guessing £4500+

Don't forget, you'd probably want to upgrade sus + exhaust so thats another £1000+. MikelyR27 also running cams (£1100). I was thinking about the same but having put £10,000 into a sc 330, I know these things are never plug n' play. You must be prepared to have your car for 50% of the time....

Both quite a bit of money but you'll have a seriously quick car....

Last edited:
well my initial thought was working the head and getting ITB's fitted but with our high altitude the tuners reckon Ill be gaining about 10% from the ITB's and if you consider the cost vs. the gains its not worth it

ok cool so you rate SC is the way to go ok so what SC would you guys recommend keep in mind that if I do go through with this it will be the only clio in SA with forced induction so I am pretty much walking in the unknown here

well my initial thought was working the head and getting ITB's fitted but with our high altitude the tuners reckon Ill be gaining about 10% from the ITB's and if you consider the cost vs. the gains its not worth it

ok cool so you rate SC is the way to go ok so what SC would you guys recommend keep in mind that if I do go through with this it will be the only clio in SA with forced induction so I am pretty much walking in the unknown here

Would wait and see how Mikey gets on with his. I'd like to see 12 months of daily driving before I thought about it. Jamsport may sell the SC as a kit that you could import.

Either way puts another 60+bhp on clio. Mate says the supercharger sounds mental. Jonesy R26 transplant gives you more options with larger turbo, mapping and intercooler upgrades so could see 270-280 bhp stage 3 upgrade I'm guessing. Like N0ddie says like most things, comes down to £...
SC is £4000 fitted
R26 given that the engine and gearbox is about £1500 - 2000 grand alone, plus clutch upgrade, then additional parts and some fabrication including exhaust, then custom mapping....I'm guessing £4500+

Don't forget, you'd probably want to upgrade sus + exhaust so thats another £1000+. MikelyR27 also running cams (£1100). I was thinking about the same but having put £10,000 into a sc 330, I know these things are never plug n' play. You must be prepared to have your car for 50% of the time....

Both quite a bit of money but you'll have a seriously quick car....

the fabrication work and all that to fit in is no where near 4500+.. if you have been told this, then tbh mate, you have been mugged off!

r26 engine ( fully working with all the bits), gearbox 9r26), wiring loom and ECU cost me 2k - 3k to fit it total cost comes to around 5k. plus with this you know its gonna work once all together

as u say, going the Sc route its, 4k + 1k ( exhaust or there abouts ) + 1k - 1.5k ( cams if you wanted fitted ) so that adds up to around 7.5k
, then you got to run it it and test a few of the components etc..

and as for the ecu, will the current ECU handle the mod with just a map or would you guys say I go with a stand alone ECU?

the fabrication work and all that to fit in is no where near 4500+.. if you have been told this, then tbh mate, you have been mugged off!

r26 engine ( fully working with all the bits), gearbox 9r26), wiring loom and ECU cost me 2k - 3k to fit it total cost comes to around 5k. plus with this you know its gonna work once all together

as u say, going the Sc route its, 4k + 1k ( exhaust or there abouts ) + 1k - 1.5k ( cams if you wanted fitted ) so that adds up to around 7.5k
, then you got to run it it and test a few of the components etc..

Mugged off lol, I'm really gonna pay someone £4500 for fabrication work!!!! This was the total figure'ish!!!

Tbh I'd only consider cams and ITBs for the Clio (Not that theres any avaliable yet for the 197/200).

I should be getting my car back this week so ill let you no how i get on with it. Im at FCS so feel free to ask me questions. Dont bother with cams if your s/charging. For a few hundred £ more than cams you could forge it and go 340+straight away! Getting mine charged was last minute and my deal will never come up again, so im not fussed lol! But thats my advice to those that will charge it. Sounds like a jet fighter tho, its amazing!

Mike do you not have any vids? Cams, throttle bodies, exhaust system what would you be pushing out with this 230-240??

Seriously id buy another car or do a transplant power is only obtainable if you spend 6k ish if u put that into an evo ure talking 450 bhp plus. And its like a real pain in the arse searching for parts to fit the renault

Mike do you not have any vids? Cams, throttle bodies, exhaust system what would you be pushing out with this 230-240??

Got a vid on cams when it was running about 210bhp up to about 120, but ill have to dig it out. But the mapping wasnt finished then. Ended up at 221bhp. I will get some vids of it in the week when its charged. Im unsure on bodies, id imagine 240. But i spent 3k on cams inlets zaust and map. So just spending 4k straight away will give u 260 bhp charged instantly and will (imo) be better to drive. Reckon with my initial 3k setup + bodies would easily be 5.5k ish, but spand that on superchargeing and forging will get you 100bhp more easily than a bodies set up.

But depends what you want from the car, both different and sound amazing :smile: