Track newbie

Hi guys,

Just joined forum, this is my 3rd clio sport, had two 172's then went down evo7, hawkeye sti route, getting married next year so wanted a quick cheapish track toy.

Bought an 06 197 in blue, 60k miles, full service history, standard for £4k.

First 2 weeks car had full service, brake fluid upgraded to .1 spax lowered springs, 888's ordered(fit feb)

First trackday is march 1st at knockhill, looking for some more info to see what else you guys recommend for track prep?

Car still gets used at weekends so dont want to strip full car or fit a loud exhaust. Could prob do with some more power?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

David

welcome, that was a pretty good price to pay. i paid just under £4.5k for my 06 197 with 82k on it back in february. in terms of power these aren't great cars to for that but if you don't mind spending a good chuck getting a catback, decat, cams, throttle bodies and a remap would be pretty good but still only might get 200-220hp as a rough guess.

Not interested in spending that kinda money for 20bhp, will prob only hold onto it until sep/october and get another impreza hawkeye sti.

Is it worth fitting front/rear strut braces on them?

What tyre pressures do you recommend for 888s?

Been a few years since i was at knockhill as doing a lot of karting events, is there a lot of clio's going? was always a few 172/182s attend when i attended.

Tuition is what makes lap times, you don't need sticky tyres or bigger brakes, or even different suspension. If you do a few trackdays, you will see there are a lot of good drivers out there in standard cars lapping a lot of modified cars, running big power and super sticky tyres. The best way to go quick is tuition, and to be smooth and quick. I see a lot of old Clios that are just stripped out, lapping quicker than Subarus and Evos, so just go out and enjoy.

As for track prep.

All you need to do is make sure it would pass an MOT, that everything is safe. A brake fluid change, just DOT 4 and an oil and filter change, before you track the car is all that is required. The fitting of toeing eyes is recommended both front and rear if applicable, as they are less likely to damage your car dragging it out of the gravel using the toeing eye, than a rope tied round an axle or suspension component.

Thanks Womble, ive completed several track days at knockhill and dont claim to be a great driver, however from competing in karting i know how important tyre pressures can be to how a car feels and responds. Just want to be as fast as possible as its just a bit of fun for the summer.
Got my racing license for next year for the karts but unsure how many rounds ill do as there seems to be a lot more classes this year and the numbers may fall in our class.

On a dif issue, i wanna remove the cabassi(sp) head unit and disc change for 2 reasons, first sound quality is v poor and second weight. any ideas what is best?

Not interested in spending that kinda money for 20bhp, will prob only hold onto it until sep/october and get another impreza hawkeye sti.

Is it worth fitting front/rear strut braces on them?

What tyre pressures do you recommend for 888s?

Been a few years since i was at knockhill as doing a lot of karting events, is there a lot of clio's going? was always a few 172/182s attend when i attended.

Imo they are good as are so I would stick tyres on and enjoy.

Saw you were a karter! Brother does it and grew around it so still know a few people.

I bought a 200 this year for trackdays

theyre brilliant for track straight out the box so don't really need much doing

i run 32/32psi hot on my track tyres. Seems to work well.

i also fitted D2500 pads and Fuchs brake fluid which work great on the track.

i run an Elise with 888's on for trackdays to me 32/32 psi hot sounds to miles high to me
on the Elise i run them around 25-26 hot at the max or the tyres will go off, i know it's
not a Clio but the Clio will weight a bit more.

Tony

Just wing it an see what suits your driving style. There should be an air hose in the pit lane.

Welcome to the site!

Like others have said the Clio is a surprisingly decent track car out the box. IMO the power route is a bit of a bust, unless you like spending money to make lots more noise and slightly more power (unless you dump 3k on a conversion). For track you'll probably have more fun with some decent brake pads/discs (the 330mm discs have just hit the shelves at http://cazanracing.com/). And if you want to spend the money then invest in some suspension, KW v3 or v1's are a good shout depending on budget and some good tyres.

damn those cazan discs look amazing, will the 330mm discs fit under standard 17inch clio wheels?

(sorry for the mini hijack)

don't worry i found the thread on the brakes. haha

Last edited: