Tools..

Been messing about with the car the last couple of weekends (anytime I get free) an decided it's time to spend some $ on a set of tools. Been using my dads stuff from when he rebuilt cars a few years ago but having the "Where the hell is the..". My question is, what type of kit would you recommend or if you have one is it good?, I've pretty much got everything in the garage I could ever need, so it's more of an out with the old, in with the new.. Been looking at a 242 Clarke set. An a couple on Halfrauds as they have a life time guarantee too?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht497-242pce-tool-set-chest

Cheers

since i only use it on the car when changing bits over every once in a wile i use the halfords professional set mate as lifetime garuntee plus not as exspensive as most decent sets out there which would rarely get used

Some of the bigger halfords sets are bargains, as you say lifetime guarantee.

If you can catch them when they have an offer on your laughing.

Then just odds and sods as and when you need them, i prefere six sided sockets so have these in the most popular sizes.

Been messing about with the car the last couple of weekends (anytime I get free) an decided it's time to spend some $ on a set of tools. Been using my dads stuff from when he rebuilt cars a few years ago but having the "Where the hell is the..". My question is, what type of kit would you recommend or if you have one is it good?, I've pretty much got everything in the garage I could ever need, so it's more of an out with the old, in with the new.. Been looking at a 242 Clarke set. An a couple on Halfrauds as they have a life time guarantee too?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht497-242pce-tool-set-chest

Cheers
Unless you have an older car with imperial nuts/bolts, half of the sockets, spanners and allen keys in the 242 piece set will not get used. The Clarks chests arent bad but they are much flimsier than the halfords profesional ones.

Nearly all my tools are Halfords Profesional range and they fared very well during a years work in a HGV garage. I had one of these>> 7 draw topbox (but 1 draw shorter from the bottom) as a call out box, so it was bloody heavy when filled with a full set or socets/spanners, hammers, screwdrivers everything else that would fit. After a year of being moved about and frequent trips in the transit, it was bearing some scars but no significant damage unlike the cheaper boxes where draws dropped off runners and the handles were hanging off from similar or lighter use.

The ratchet ring spanners are realy nice to use and save loads of messing about.

Other than being lost or broken through misuse, the only thing to have broken was a split 17mm double depth socket which was replaced instore :smile: I didn't mention the 36" breaker bar that was used

Last edited:
I bought a Halfords advanced set, 150pcs should have been £199 but was on offer for £99. Bargain if you ask me, is a quality tool kit. Have a look and see if there are any deals on, if not wait until there is.

Halfords advanced tools are amazingly good value, I use a few at work and they are equally as durable as snap on.

Ratchet spanners on offer
8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19mm ratchet spanners

64 piece 1/4 and 3/8 drive socket set on offer
4-24mm sockets
6-19mm double depth sockets

For heavier jobs 1/2" drive is preferable, but for a stiffer nut/bolt, a 3/8 to 1/2 step up and a breaker bar to get it started would work well. Work out what you need and get a rail of sockets and ratchet when they come on offer :smile:

Despite the million piece sets having a shed load of stuff, half of it won't get used and there will always be times when you need something different anyway :bored:

halford professional range are snap on, halfords boughts selling rights from snap on

I thought it was Sykes Pickvant as Halfords used to stock their tools and then the same stuff came on line with Halfords logos. One of my 1/2 drive ratchets has SP on it and is still going strong from the early 90s.

I'm not a big fan of Clarke stuff, never lasted very long at work. I will say the Halfords pro stuff is actually pretty good these days, its what I buy now.

Snap on are doing a great starter kit at the moment - roll cab, all the tools, for £10 a week (£999 in total), great bit of kit which would normally be worth £3k!

Similar Thread Suggestions