Tools?

Rishi

Platinum Member
After falling back in love with working on my car i've decided to get myself a decent tool set, wheres a good place to get some good tools for car maintenence?

Im looking at Halfords Advance Professional 150pc socket set for £200
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...duct_Details_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PDPz1#dtab

B&Q do something very similar for £100
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...=1291737059040&isSearch=false&icamp=gift_nom7

Is the lifetime warranty from Halfords worth an extra £100?
Is there an alternative im overlooking?

Thanks!

snap-on? life time warranty on tools, mechanics in work use alot of snap-on tools. Do stupid things with them, if they break when the wee van arrives outside to sell them more tOols they swap all they're broken tools at no cost.

It may be expensive for a socket set, but thats the last socket set you'll ever need to buy =D

I do agree but have a butchers at those 2 sets, the equivalent of snapon would be about £1000 id imagine

Im looking for something to just get me by really, at the same time half decent :wink:

Im annoyed reading about people picking up the halfords set for £89 a year ago & now its £200!
I have to get myself a decent set by the weekend...

Last edited:
for home diy car repairs snap-on is way too expensive!!!

the halfords stuff is good and does have a lifetime warranty and i have got stuff from them before (do have a tradecard which helps)

also have a look at machinemart and screw fix etc for any deals:thumbup1:

will you use most of a 200pc set? My draper 50 pc has sockets I've never used. Tbh I'd buy a small good socket set containing the popular sockets (10mm to 20mm would be fine for a car) & spend the rest on good quality individual items.

just my 2p :smile:

I probly wont use all of it soon but its bits worth having i think

The only things i can see missing that i would use are the jewlers screwdrivers which i already have, a hammer/mallet & a torque wrench

I reckon the lifetime guarantee from Halfords is going to swing it, id like to get the B&Q and save money, it looks like a copy of the Halfords kit, but somehow it still looks cheaper quality

I checked out a few of the other places suggested but i still think these 2 sets are right up there with value for money, hopefully halfords will reply to my email & give me a discount, takes the p*** that if id bought it in march it was £100! This time last year £89!

most people i have spoken to (trade and non trade) say that Snap-On is over priced these days, and other tools do just as good a job.

Despite Halfords being Halfords, thier tools are pretty durable and work well.

Other budget range's would include Sealey and Draper. Worth a look.

And if your happy to spend that sort of money, may as well get a comprehensive kit. Better to have something you wont use, than something you need to use and wont have (usually when your car is in bits!! lol)

I have the halfords 200pc for working at home and its brilliant! never broken anything! im a mechanic myself and most of my stuff is snap on. way over rated imo. halfords just as good! and if you wait a bit, halfords drop price to £100 every nown again

Last edited:
I kinda need some tools for this weekend but i'll ask one of the mechanics at work if i can just use a few more of his tools, he said he'd leave me the keys to his box but id just prefer to use my own tools really, screw losing £100 like that though, ill have to keep checking at halfords :wink:

And if your happy to spend that sort of money, may as well get a comprehensive kit. Better to have something you wont use, than something you need to use and wont have (usually when your car is in bits!! lol)

exactly :thumbup1:

Snapon are good at making quality, i have a pair of snapon socks & their the best socks i own!
The tools are just sooo expensive, ive known a guy owing thousands of £ for tools/toolbox after his own retirement

Last edited:
Halfords 150pc Socket Set & Other Tools 50% Off

Not an ebay find but a find none the less, after moaning last week at how unfair it is that their 150pc socket set is £200 i just checked their website this morning & its on sale until the end of today at half price.

Get it while you can!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255215

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to collecting it at lunch :smile:
I went for the advanced screwdriver set aswell, only an extra £7 at the moment

I have the 100 piece socket set, its a good bit of kit... never broken anything the only down side is the ratchet is quite small but you can buy bigger ones on there own

Snap on, you can put it on finance :smiley: £10 a week and you're sorted!

We have a rule at work - if you dont owe the snap-on man over £400 you're not trying hard enough!

Just claimed back the tax too on all my tools, well worth it as I got over £500 back!

We have a rule at work - if you dont owe the snap-on man over £400 you're not trying hard enough!

Just claimed back the tax too on all my tools, well worth it as I got over £500 back!

How do you go about this? I'm in need of some tools. Do you have a link all I can find is the US site.

Steve

running up £400 from snap-on is dead easy a handfull of spanners and your there :001_rolleyes:

fine for trade but its only diy and occasional use here

Had this set for ages. It's a great set and don't forget the lifetime warranty on any of the tools (except wobbly bits etc). Keep that receipt handy. I also bought their ratchet spanner set with the adjustable heads when I got my set.

Similar Thread Suggestions