To decat or not to decat?

r&skxa

Gold Member
I ordered a decat from K-Tec on wednesday to be fitted tomorrow but they've not been able to deliver it in time?
I've got the 200 booked in to fast road conversions tomorrow for a (now custom made) decat and the silencer to be removed.

Questions are,

Is worth getting both done or better just to remove one or the other? Main aim is to get the spit bangs pops and farts. Will I get that with just the decat or leave the cat in and ditch the silencer to achieve the chav sound?

PS I'm not a chav, I just like the noise :smile:

Have you got a garage that will pass it with the de-cat? If not, I wouldn't bother with it.

You can get some beefy-sounding exhausts with a cat and that'll be a lot less hassle.

Have you got a garage that will pass it with the de-cat? If not, I wouldn't bother with it.

You can get some beefy-sounding exhausts with a cat and that'll be a lot less hassle.

I have but I've got a year to worry about that and it'll be a remove-able de-cat so I'm not worried about it as I can swap it back if I need too.

There aren't any I like to be honest. I won't order anything from K-Tec so don't want their own brand one and whichever one I order I've got to get it fitted so its just as mush hassle as getting FRC to custom make a decat for me. They do Powerspeed and customs systems but they're mega bucks

i assume your talking about the main cat in the exhaust and not the cat in the manifold?

correct me if im wrong but im sure if you still run with the cat in the manifold you will still pass an emmisions test

mine did with my Akro Evo exhaust when i got work to test it

One on manifold and one further down the pipe. Manifold cat is staying, the secondary cat will be going, possibly, maybe.

To be fair to ktec its not always possible to deliver a product that quick as you are working to a very tight timeline. I've always found then to be very efficient with delivery.

As for pops and bangs you won't get a massive amount with just a decat to be honest, might get the odd few little ones on gear change but nothing to talk about on over run.

If you had the decat and removed your centre silencer then you would get the pops and bangs that you're after. :smile:

Car will pass emissions test with one cat but it wouldn't pass the visual check. The MOT tester had a diagram on his computer screen that shows the position of each cat on every car..

You would need a friendly tester or put it back come testing time

Fernandez, is there anyone on here with both the silencer & cat removed...

I haven't heard one before with both removed.... Is it any louder? Anymore pops and bangs?

I've got the silencer off mine & it sounds good, I was considering decating it as well....

You got any videos? How's your flat spot? I could just wing it tomorrow and get them to do one at a time. Who did yours as your a Kent lad. I could get them to do one at a time and see what I'm happy with. As they're the professionals I could always get their opinions before they start chopping and welding

Fernandez, is there anyone on here with both the silencer & cat removed...

I haven't heard one before with both removed.... Is it any louder? Anymore pops and bangs?

I has the centre silencer and decat removed and it sounded epic. Popped and banged all the time. At first it was really raspy and tinnie but once it coked up it was superb and I loved every minute. I only got one vid, I'll find it for you...

I has the centre silencer and decat removed and it sounded epic. Popped and banged all the time. At first it was really raspy and tinnie but once it coked up it was superb and I loved every minute. I only got one vid, I'll find it for you...

So plenty different from just having the silenecer removed in your op?

You got any videos? How's your flat spot? I could just wing it tomorrow and get them to do one at a time. Who did yours as your a Kent lad. I could get them to do one at a time and see what I'm happy with. As they're the professionals I could always get their opinions before they start chopping and welding

I haven't got any videos at the moment mate, but i don't mind sorting you one out this evening?
Mine was done by AMD in Lakeside, they've done a very good job, a lot of places somehow c*ck these up..

As for flat spot, it's only noticable when your in the wrong gear in my op, if you're giving it hell you won't notice.

To be fair to ktec its not always possible to deliver a product that quick as you are working to a very tight timeline. I've always found then to be very efficient with delivery.

As for pops and bangs you won't get a massive amount with just a decat to be honest, might get the odd few little ones on gear change but nothing to talk about on over run.

If you had the decat and removed your centre silencer then you would get the pops and bangs that you're after. :smile:

It wasn't that tight a timeline, (i can get consignments to anywhere in the world the following day via train, plain, car or donkey if I need to, its my 9-5) and even if it was, it should still be achievable, also it took me to call them to find out, they didn't send an email to say it'll be late. It would have taken the two minutes. But that's done now anyway, I'm sure they're fantastic when you don't need them to be. Considering it was 1st order it was a bit of a let down.

I think I'll do the silencer removed first and then road test it. If I'm not happy enough then we'll work with the decat.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I haven't got any videos at the moment mate, but i don't mind sorting you one out this evening?
Mine was done by AMD in Lakeside, they've done a very good job, a lot of places somehow c*ck these up..

As for flat spot, it's only noticable when your in the wrong gear in my op, if you're giving it hell you won't notice.

I've heard of them but never used them. I've been to Fast Road before but not as a customer and some of the cars they do are epic, unfortunately you get the premium for the service though :/ They have said they can custom make me a system and make it give me the sound I'm after.

I've heard different things about the flat spot. I don't really have one at the moment, so we'll see how that goes. I've heard flooring it through gears makes it hardly noticeable

Here's a link to my centre silencer removal: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24344

And a few phone videos so sound quality isn't the best but these are with a decat and centre silencer removed....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3hbcN8_tUA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5M72Us8Ow0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivs3VkL0xVk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Sounds amazing. Is that de-catted? Sorry if you already said, the thread got quite wordy.