To any who's swapped HUs

GrumpyTwig

"the troll hunter" with added boost!
I've fitted...

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/kenwood-kdcbt60u-stereo-bluetooth-ipod-ready-player-p-15182.html

this today and managed to get it working ok however unlike the OEM stereo it refuses to turn on without fully starting the car.

Is this just how they are or have I missed something?

Also I've struggled to get an aerial adapter that's correct:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/male-fakra-to-din-aerial-adaptor.html

Had another look after peaking at some more threads and that seems to be the correct one?

Ta :smile:

I had this issue with my Parrot kit, Renault switch around the ignition switched and perm 12v, so with just the equiv of position I you have ign on, but no perm, with equiv of position II you have both, hence it works.

You got any pictures of the aftermarket head unit? Im assuming you do need to get a surround due to the original headunit being slightly bigger?

I had this issue with my Parrot kit, Renault switch around the ignition switched and perm 12v, so with just the equiv of position I you have ign on, but no perm, with equiv of position II you have both, hence it works.

It sounds like you've been on the red bull :tongueout: did you sort it then?

Does it just require a swapping round of wires?

ty :smile:

just swap them over. Chances are both have an inline fuse so just undo those and swap them around.

Cheers, just looked at the wiring diargram. Not sure why I didn't think of that myself, it is a sunday :smiley:

p.s just downloading my pics for the last couple of days so bare with me

no prob, sometimes difficult to take a step back when it just doesn't bloody work, is cold outside, and you probably have other things that you should be doing.

when i put my alpine in it was a nightmare with the aerial adapters. For some reason the ones that the manufacturers had reccommended for Renaults didnt fit. The one you have ordered is the one i finally used, but had to grind the end down to fit into the alpine. Dont listen to the radio much, ipod 90% of the time.

This is how it stands at the moment.

I'm not massively pleased about the surround as there's quite a lip between the fascia adapter and the actual radios surround, not sure what if anything can be done to 'smooth' it out.

One of the reasons I got this one was because you can changed the colour of the display and buttons (separately if you want) and I've tried to get it to a colour that matches the other in car displays.

The bluetooth audio works well and the phone side works ok though looking at the phonebook is slow (i'm willing to blame my phone for this being an iphone as I think it has to read it from the phone).

Attachments

• IMG_2830.jpg
    IMG_2830.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 75
Looking good. If you havent ordered already, the fakra adaptors can be had for about £3.50 off the bay. I had to get one when I was doing a bmw mini for someone! (the 197's dont need them!)

Looking good. If you havent ordered already, the fakra adaptors can be had for about £3.50 off the bay. I had to get one when I was doing a bmw mini for someone! (the 197's dont need them!)

Cheers for the tip £3.67, which is more in tune with my wallet :smile:

Don't wire the ignition power wire to the permenant power wire, this will drain your battery!

Any idea how to get it to act the same then?

One part is always wired to the constant supply anyway because there's both an ignition and battery wire, they just seem to have one way around and then another.

Seems to make sense that they're just the wrong way around at the moment.

Last edited:
The permenant one is just used to power the memory which stored radio stations etc, the switched live (ignition) is used to power the amps etc.

Im not sure how you can overcome this tbh, its the same on mine but I just put the ignition on (press start with no feet on the pedals)

Ben, it's nothing to worry about, all he has to do is swap them around, Renault just like to be different to the ISO standard. I have had my Parrot kit in for around 6m now with no problem, it switches off with the ignition, exactly as it should do. Renault have been doing this forever.

Ben, it's nothing to worry about, all he has to do is swap them around, Renault just like to be different to the ISO standard. I have had my Parrot kit in for around 6m now with no problem, it switches off with the ignition, exactly as it should do. Renault have been doing this forever.

I'll give it a go next weekend and update this thread, once it's all up and running I'm possibly going to try do a guide as I've guessed my way through a fair few bits so far and it'd be useful.

Yeah I was about to say, Renault have been backwards with the ISO wiring forever. No probs what so ever swapping the feeds around, it's the norm.