TL4 ratios

pdd144c

Paid Member
I'm looking at building a new gearbox for my track/hillclimb 200, where can the imformation be found about different combinations of gear sets and final drives? I know some people on here have built custom boxes up, and Gripper do a different final drive. Can you mix and match any 6 speed TL4 boxes?!

Cheers

Paul.

I'm looking at building a new gearbox for my track/hillclimb 200, where can the imformation be found about different combinations of gear sets and final drives? I know some people on here have built custom boxes up, and Gripper do a different final drive. Can you mix and match any 6 speed TL4 boxes?!

Cheers

Paul.
list of Clio 197/200 gearboxes with ratios:
http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?13137-197-and-200-Exactly-gearbox

Gear calculator (that's my box BTW) -> http://www.cargister.com/calculator...&teeths[2][]=39&teeths[1][]=39&teeths[2][]=34

I mixed tl4 031 with gears 5 and 6 from tl4 003 and fitted Gripper 5.0 final drive so Yeah they can be mixed. I know TBrich swapped shorter final drive from other box from Renault range, can't remember which one though.

Cheers for that! Very interesting info. How do you find yours? So you have the short 123 from the 200 box, and short 56 from the early 197 box. Which looks ideal to me, it's the closest gearset possible. I thought the Gripper final drive was 5.1 though? Do you have the Gripper LSD also?

Yeah Rich has the longer 123 and short 56, so an early 197 box, with a 15/71 4.73 final drive. Definitely the cheaper option final drive wise, plus one less gearbox required to strip down!

Cheers for that! Very interesting info. How do you find yours? So you have the short 123 from the 200 box, and short 56 from the early 197 box. Which looks ideal to me, it's the closest gearset possible. I thought the Gripper final drive was 5.1 though? Do you have the Gripper LSD also?

Yeah Rich has the longer 123 and short 56, so an early 197 box, with a 15/71 4.73 final drive. Definitely the cheaper option final drive wise, plus one less gearbox required to strip down!
Gripper also makes 5.0 FD -> http://www.tomson.com.pl/product-eng-1449-Gripper-Diffs-final-drive-Renault-Clio-3-Sport-5-00.html
I have Quaife ATB diff. At the time my car was a daily so prefered ATB over plate diff.
How I find it? hard to tell, I didn't have time to test it really. But have to say it goes through the gears very quickly. 1st gear could be a bit longer though

Ah ok. I'm still undecided on which diff to run. Shame the final drive is so expensive and can't be robbed from another box!

Mine will be for sale, just waiting still to get booked in for the Honda.

Do you want a deposit Rich for the box and the flywheel? I thought you were having second thoughts about the Honda lump!

Not really second thoughts so much, just I've owned the Honda engine and box now for almost 2 months and I was initially expecting only a couple of weeks to have it booked in. Should be in there within the next week...

No need for a deposit, you have first refusal. When the engines out and bits removed I'lll price everything up and give you a buzz - just given the wait I've grown somewhat disinterested in it all currently :\ Hopefully once it's there I'll be motivated again.

Cheers! I found those the other night, doesn't look like many are of much use apart from the three standard box combinations.

No they're all a bit rubbish tbh except the main 3 sport ones.
IMO the 031 with a short FD gives you too short a 1-3 too, also the 031 has a bigger step on 3-4 than the 003/024. Without doubt 003 with a short FD is the way to go for sure.