Throttle body

Today I decided to have a look at my throttle body and as expected it was black and gunked up . I've been having problems with lack of power and juddering sometimes at about 70-75 so doing bit by bit to figure out what it is.
After cleaning . I went for a drive . And what a difference . Car seems quieter. Throttle response has improved. Flat spot seems non existent and mpg seems to have improved . Will give it a week to see if there is a real difference but so far so good :smile:

Car is on 75000 not too sure when last clean was. I may have never been dirty. Forgot to get photos. Sorry . But there was no silver to be seen. I used gt85 and I microfibre cloth the clean it . Came up nice and shiny and only took about 35 mins from start to finish .

Sounds good.

Im all over this tomorrow. Weather forecast is gash; and i've got nothing better to do :lol:

I'll get pics of mine being done.............

Very easy to remove all you need is a screwdriver to remove air pipe and 10mm socket and ratchet . 5 mins off . 10-15 minute clean . 5 minutes back on job done . Well worth it :smile:

Well if your looking at this part - you've found the engine. Good start....

IMG_4166_zps4yjwobxt.jpg

Now locate throttle body. Its the lump on the back right of the engine-block / head, with the large'ish ribbed plastic hose going into it from the air-box assembly in the back right hand corner of the engine bay.

Now take a medium sized flat-blade screwdriver and 1/. Undo either the engine side, or 2/. both ends of the ribbed black hose via the jubilee / hose clips and remove it completely if you fancy doing so for easier access.

IMG_4212_zpsbzwpugax.jpg

You will now ideally want a 1/4" drive ratchet [As the bolts are only a small 6mm thread] and both an 8mm and a 10mm socket to undo the 4 bolts that hold the throttle body onto the engine (The bottom left bolt as you work on the car has a bigger head than the other 3).

As you can see above: Mine had just a very small amount of black 'oily residue' inside the body itself - so i literally wacked a bit of WD40 on a clean rag, held the butterfly open with my fingers and cleaned everywhere thoroughly for all of a minute. At this point it was spotless.

*****If removing the throttle body completely, there is a small air-hose on the right, and a wiring connector at the bottom on the right hand side to disconnect before you can take the unit into your garage / kitchen / shed to complete the clean-up. I left mine on the car TBH.

IMG_4214_zpskjipzaqe.jpg

At this point you can reverse the process and refit, wiping clean the orange face gasket first of any residue / gunk and ensuring a good airtight seal upon being re-fitted.

Check the manual for torque settings (Dont need to be 'killed' - as once again these are small threaded bolts and can be 'felt' in if your any sort of experienced mechanic / spanner-monkey).

I don't expect to notice much (any) difference on my car hence. But for 30 minutes max and a job so easy to do - its well worth checking chaps.

Cheers and good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legend@wheels
Cheers and good luck.

I didn't torque mine, but just put it back to where I felt it was before. It's hard to explain, but it's half a turn from hand tight, there abouts...It's certainly not stupidly tight.

12931242_10207954964184697_9026875906939854236_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Think this is on my to do list this coming weekend if the weather sorts itself out. We've had snowflakes the size of your fist this morning coming down lol.

What are people using to clean it, just some GT85 on a cloth or something a bit more potent like carb/brake cleaner?

I think brake/carb will fit too( correct me if im wrong) atleast that what i planned to use.
I also think you can spray the body directly and not only by cloth

Just make sure whatever you use is rubber / seal friendly - as there is an o-ring shaped seal on the front of the throttle body that looks to sit in a recess in the casting.

Unless your going to take that seal out prior to cleaning (In which case you might want to buy a spare before-hand incase it splits when trying to remove it).......

Cleaned mine today, wasn't too bad but definitely dirtied up a clean cloth. Had to do it attached to the car, couldn't get the electrical connection off and I didn't want to be brutal with it and break it. Hate those things