Thoughts on this 197?

Hi all, thinking of getting my first renaultsport and went to see this today.

http://www.status1automotive.co.uk/...ltsport-197-oly-30k-miles-in-birstall-2560486

Car was immaculate inside and out. Not a mark on it, other than steering wheel starting to peel. Alloys spotless too.
The only thing was it had not had its first service until 2011, when it was 5 years old. In this time it had only done 11,500 miles. Is that something I should walk away from? Since then the car's other 2 owners have put average miles on it and it was serviced last year at 24k.

Dealer says he will change the timing belt prior to selling it.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Jono:smile:

This is a better link

Http://www.status1automotive.co.uk/mobi/vehicle-details.asp?ID=2560486&RSpage=2

Looks a good car. Very hard to tell from photos though. The service thing would make me think hard I'll admit. If they're going to do the belts, full service etc then it should be fine but the service intervals on the 197 are every year or 12,000 miles so it really should have 6 services by now.

I'd get them to fix the steering wheel as well. They ain't cheap.

so its never been serviced in 5yrs.....and that is "full service history" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

just to clarify - 197 need a service at EITHER 12months OR 12000mile whichever comes first

so if its 5 yrs old it needs to have 5 stamps = FULL SERVICE HISTORY!!!

it maybe "low mileage" but still needs to be serviced in accordance with the service schedual to keep its warranty :thumbdown:

what car sold today is supposed to go 5yrs without seeing a garage.....sorry but they sound like a bunch of con merchants
and its not "full history" as its missing the first 4yrs servicing - in fact its been poorly maintained in what they have put

Last edited:
It's not great.

I would assume that the dealer will do the belt himself, which generally isn't a good idea either.

I had mine done by the dealer just before I bought it last year, and 10 months later, it's starting to slip. I'm guessing, they didn't use genuine Renault part. So I've gotta fork out £500 to get it done again.

Swerve it, there's more comprehensive examples out there.

Albi isn't the most sought after colour either. pffft

It seems an odd one and as has been said, find another one.

Not defending it in any way but it is 6, nearly seven years old so way out of warrenty, if it had have been serviced every 12 months so it was up to date and the gearbox went tomorrow i'd be more than suprised if renault entertained even looking at the car for you.

I get the message:biggrin:

Thanks for all the advise guys. Thought as much. Condition of the vehicle swayed me initially, so good to have an objective view.