Thought I needed swivel bearings but....

Had the car on a ramp two weeks ago cos the steering was squeaking. Just for the time being I had it greased up, thinking it would just quiten things down until I get them done. Well it's been two weeks and no squeak at all.
So now I'm wondering if I do infact need it doing? I wasn't expecting it to do much at all or is Oil all it needed? Bearing in mind the mechanic does think it needs replacing as there is movement there. AND I am getting the brake pads replaced so getting those and bearings done at the same time would save hassle and money than separately, Hmmmm? ??
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Shelly.

Last edited:
But there's no sound to indicate a problem now. That was my notion, to get everything done. Yeah I may aswell put another £300 into it haha.

But there's no sound to indicate a problem now. That was my notion, to get everything done. Yeah I may aswell put another £300 into it haha.

The sound isn't the problem it's just a symptom. Silencing it will hide the problem but not solve the problem. If it has play it wants fixing, if you're loft was leaking you could put a bucket under the leak and empty it once a week, but you'd want it fixing. That's how I see it. Its not just a dent or scratch, its a suspension/steering component which is failing. I wouldn't be happy with it until it was fixed properly.

£300!think of all the shoe's you could buy for that.:d
Yeah I know. Could have had a reyt good shopping spree. I know but without the squeak in the first place I wouldn't have even known about it. Ok then it will be booked in. Not before the Dales run though, hope this doesn't wreck it!!:worried:

Yeah I know. Could have had a reyt good shopping spree. I know but without the squeak in the first place I wouldn't have even known about it. Ok then it will be booked in. Not before the Dales run though, hope this doesn't wreck it!!:worried:

Disclaimer: the organisers of the Dales run accept no responsibility for any cars that are 'wrecked' as a result of the run :d

I see the world the way it is. At least you won't be disappointed when you see me, (not expecting the next brad pitt)