The time has come

I'm in dire need to replace my front shocks so seeing as it's going to cost money anyway, I may as well go for coilovers, I don't want to spend silly money yet don't want anything below par to the cup setup on my 197, so on that note, kw v1s? Or spax rsx? For some reason not many mention spax for these motors, is it branding snobbery or legitimately not fit for our purpose?

KW v1: ride height adjustment only

Spax RSX: ride height & stiffness adjustment.

I use to have the v1's for my old 197. They were very good quality piece of kit and for a fast road car (in terms of stiffness), they are set up perfectly. They have pre set dampening so they weren't ridiculously stiff or bouncy which helped soak up the bumps well and that is what you want on the road.

However if used on track they may be a little soft, Which is where the Spax would benefit as they have both stiffness & ride height adjustment. It's safe to say KW are a more rated coilover on this forum, but that's not to say the Spax are bad. Every member on that I've seen who's fitted them has only had good things to say about them.

KW v1: ride height adjustment only

Spax RSX: ride height & stiffness adjustment.

I use to have the v1's for my old 197. They were very good quality piece of kit and for a fast road car (in terms of stiffness), they are set up perfectly. They have pre set dampening so they weren't ridiculously stiff or bouncy which helped soak up the bumps well and that is what you want on the road.

However if used on track they may be a little soft, Which is where the Spax would benefit as they have both stiffness & ride height adjustment. It's safe to say KW are a more rated coilover on this forum, but that's not to say the Spax are bad. Every member on that I've seen who's fitted them has only had good things to say about them.

Thanks for your very descriptive info there mate, taken from that I get the impression the spax will be firmer even on the softer of settings? Gather their spring rates are a good bit firmer than the v1?

How about in terms of longevity? Seals etc? Are both brands serviceable?

I wouldn't bother getting anything unless it's built around a high quality mono tube damper. Kw unless you go for Clubsport are all twin tube's.

AST 5100's use inverted mono tube's, but are about £2k with top mounts. Also the rear is a coilover design too, you'll want to investigate if any reinforcement is needed on the damper mounts.

Bilstein now list B14 kits for the RS:
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/defaul...102&52=1&30=93&1250=1&31=5462&330=1066&1260=1

H&R used to use Bilstein inverted dampers on their coilover kit for the 106gti that I had but in all fairness I'm not building a full on race car.

I don't want to replace a single damper for the leaking one I have so id end up replacing the full set plus I wouldn't use new shocks with old springs so they'd need changed too, that would all cost a pretty penny for standard cup parts, surely some of the mid range kits out there that's been mentioned will hold up to the likes of the cup package?

H&R do a kit for these, but by all accounts it's pretty stiff.

Quick google doenst bring up much on the new Bilstein kit, I can only see prices in Euros (850ish) but I'd contact a UK supplier for part number: 47-239180

H&R do a kit for these, but by all accounts it's pretty stiff.

Quick google doenst bring up much on the new Bilstein kit, I can only see prices in Euros (850ish) but I'd contact a UK supplier for part number: 47-239180

Yeah I've seen the H&R kits actually. But they don't have the think rods like the billies??

What I meant was H&R actually used Bilstein dampers for their pug 106 gti kit years ago, that was way back in 2001 I'm certain of it, that gti handled on rails with that setup I must admit

My understanding (I had a 106 for years too) is H&R typically use Bilstein dampers and if you look at the pictures on Ktec's site, they clearly look along the lines of a classic 46mm inverted mono-tube damper (aka Bilstein!!). Not saying they are of course but it certainly seems that way.

My understanding (I had a 106 for years too) is H&R typically use Bilstein dampers and if you look at the pictures on Ktec's site, they clearly look along the lines of a classic 46mm inverted mono-tube damper (aka Bilstein!!). Not saying they are of course but it certainly seems that way.

I think you're right mate, possibly a better option then.

What setup are you intending on getting or are you happy with the factory suspension?

I think you're right mate, possibly a better option then.

What setup are you intending on getting or are you happy with the factory suspension?

I think the 200 Cup setup is a good compromise between road and track really, so I would be unlikely to want too drastic a change in spring rates for example. It skips on the bumpy stuff at times as it is.

If I was to change change though...? Well def when the factory stuff is worn and then it would possibly be for AST 5100's or maybe the B14 kit. Def not KW though as I think the hardware they offer is over rated for the money they charge, as mentioned only twin-tube dampers unless you go for Clubsports. Over the years on various forums KW's get the award for most leaking posts I've ever seen too, though to be fair this is about one of the few forums which doesn't have many(if any) posts on leaking KW's!! So maybe QC has improved over the last few years.
I wouldn't rule the Clubsports out, would need further investigation on my part and they work with the adjustable top mounts too which is a bonus.

Suspension is the least needed area of development on these cars IMO because the balance is great from the off, which means theres plenty of scope to more damage than good frankly with cheap aftermarket ****. I would also look into Madeno Racing as I'm sure I read they have adjustable top mounts and an adjustable rear setup all for the OE stuff. I think a well geo'd car on fresh Cup dampers would be a pretty good place to be too.

I think the 200 Cup setup is a good compromise between road and track really, so I would be unlikely to want too drastic a change in spring rates for example. It skips on the bumpy stuff at times as it is.

If I was to change change though...? Well def when the factory stuff is worn and then it would possibly be for AST 5100's or maybe the B14 kit. Def not KW though as I think the hardware they offer is over rated for the money they charge, as mentioned only twin-tube dampers unless you go for Clubsports. Over the years on various forums KW's get the award for most leaking posts I've ever seen too, though to be fair this is about one of the few forums which doesn't have many(if any) posts on leaking KW's!! So maybe QC has improved over the last few years.
I wouldn't rule the Clubsports out, would need further investigation on my part and they work with the adjustable top mounts too which is a bonus.

Suspension is the least needed area of development on these cars IMO because the balance is great from the off, which means theres plenty of scope to more damage than good frankly with cheap aftermarket ****. I would also look into Madeno Racing as I'm sure I read they have adjustable top mounts and an adjustable rear setup all for the OE stuff. I think a well geo'd car on fresh Cup dampers would be a pretty good place to be too.

I've been looking into rear axle camber and toe shims so I could get the car as close to the intended spec as possible, I've had it on the same hunter machine a few times and it's well within tolerance but I'd like it closer. Fresh tyres and amount of fuel makes a dramatic difference to that though in case anyone gets theirs checked and it seems slightly off.

Also front camber top mounts but the main reason for looking into a change of suspension as I said is a bloody leaking shock plus the fact it does sit a little high but I'm not the sort to go for big lows, just compromises handling and reliability really,

Budget is the main issue though, I don't want to spend crazy money when the car is rarely if at all going to be hammered on a track

I wouldn't bother getting anything unless it's built around a high quality mono tube damper. Kw unless you go for Clubsport are all twin tube's.

AST 5100's use inverted mono tube's, but are about £2k with top mounts. Also the rear is a coilover design too, you'll want to investigate if any reinforcement is needed on the damper mounts.

Bilstein now list B14 kits for the RS:
http://web1.carparts-cat.com/defaul...102&52=1&30=93&1250=1&31=5462&330=1066&1260=1

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/defaul...974A64D846804AC0B987042F4D170B54018001&12=110
awesome

Was debating at replacing my V1's

Need to look into this come spring time