Tesco Fuel to blame?

Wisenatcho

Paid Member
Recently I filled up with Tesco 99 momentum fuel. The car has seemed slugish ever since, and feels very slow to deliver power when accelerating. Today it was even worse and then a strange noise occurred (very similar to the one mentioned here: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?38673-strange-engine-noise-(video-included) and the Engine management light started to flash on and off! :tongueout:anic:

Carried on driving at same speed (as you do!) and after 30 seconds, the light and noise went away. no error message and no limp home mode etc. Any ideas? I want to blame the fuel...

I very much doubt it would be the fuel. Best thing to do would be to take it to a garage or anyone you know with diagnostics and see what fault codes the engine warning light has flagged up!

Well you see tesco esso texco shell tankers filling up at the same pumps at the storage tanks at heathrow ??????

ALL fuel is the same which is why they all fill up from the same place. It is the additives they add that makes the difference.

A local car dealer told me they have had some problems with cars after using tesco fuel. Probably not the 99 stuff, but it does give you pause for thought. Have been using Sainsburys super in mine, it seems to like it.

I use nothing but tesco 95 both in my 200 and my old 210hp 182 never had a problem with it be very surprised if it was the fuel

I've used Sainsburys 97 super since I got that car in January bar about 3 times when I've had to use other. Put tesco 99 in an didn't like it but guess they used to something.

Doubt the fuel could make yours flag up an error though, just made mine run a bit rough.

Always used vpower and will not use anything else

Snob alert I know but I can't use supermarket fuel.

Always used vpower in the twingo rs but the last two months it has been awful on cold starts, not had that problem for a long time. I filled up with tesco momentum last week and the cold starts are fine again. Going back to using tesco as shell just makes it a ballache to drive some mornings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours has had a combo of V Power and Momentum 99 nothing else since we bought it and both have been exactly the same in the 197. However in the previous Revo remapped 1.8t 20v Ibiza we had there did seem to be small differences with it prefering the V Power. Lovin the fact the we get way better MPG in the 197 now too.

Everyone seems to favour vpower whereas my 200 isn't keen on it cold starts are terrible, I switched to to standard esso petrol and now it's fine, haven't used 99 esso yet but then again I am Scottish so gotta keep a tight drip on those pennies haha

also I won't use supermarket fuel after the damage it did to my last car, fuel filter/egr and DPF fault every couple of weeks!!!

Similar Thread Suggestions