Tempermental gearbox

Is this a renault thing?
Some days it feels super smooth and other days it can feel a tad notchy

I don't think i have a clutch prob but sometimes the gearbox seems a bit vague if you know what i mean ,also now and again dosent like 5th to 4th
no crunching though

is this a 'normal' thing or do you think something sinister is underlying?

I have it booked in the dealer next week,still in warrenty but i don't wish to start paying for investigation work if this is how they all are

any thoughts welcome
cheers phil

It can be a Renault thing - there are a fair few people that have had their gearbox's replaced due to similar problems. Mine can feel clunky changing gears but only when it is cold and even then it is worse when I have been driving other cars, so that may be down to me more than anything.

You have done the right thing though and it is best to get it looked at while it is under warranty.

I have never had to pay for them to look into anything so don't worry about that mate.

^^^^
Thanks for that F1

Ill have it looked at anyway,better safe than sorry.
Would'nt want the bill for a new box out of warrenty.

At least if they say its ok but something goes belly up in a few months
they will have a record that i made them aware ,i shall make sure theres a note on the car's records

Try changing the gear box oil, put some decent stuff in and see if that sorts it.

I had a similar problem with my gt tdi, I put some decent gearbox oil in it and that sorted it.

I hope this helps.

Gearboxes on the Clio range in general are terrible imo

They can be clunky and not go into gear or even start to crunch, the 1.2 Clio I had as a courtesy car was like stirring a pot of stones with a stick and reverse was even worse.

But you can get ones that are fine, such a shame though as it ruins the car.

yeah mine is a ******* getting into 3rd sometimes even when warm

2nd is always very notchy when cold too

but yeah some days it feels smoother than others, having said that the whole car feels different , some days its quick and smooth others it just feels slugish and dog rough lol

Phil,

I have the same problem, i have been to three dealers now to try and get some action but none will commit to it being a fault.
Some days trying to get mine into 1st and 2nd is a real battle and others its as smooth as butter.
The gearbox oil has been changed on mine by one dealer and it was clean so no damage is being done to the gears and it made NO difference to the issue. I think its just another little joy of the Clio; she only works perfectly when she wants to!
Funny though i think mines worse when the car is being driven at low speeds in the city, and on cold days, it could be something to do with the gear box not warming up?

My warranty runs out in Jan next year and i am now resigned to other avenues of investigation. I think the clutch might not be fully engaging sometimes or it could be slightly out of line / worn synchro.

Sorry its not an answer but i feel your pain mate, your not alone!

Thanks for the response all

Seems mine is comparable to others due to your comments here.

Kosluk you have hit the nail on the head there fella,wont't hold my breath for a new box but i hope at least they will maybe drain the box just to make sure half the syncros ain't sitting in the bottom of it.lol

To be honest i'm not 100% sure there is a problem but would just like it checked out as it seems wierd sometimes and as i still have 5 months warranty left i might as well have it checked

cheers guys

Phil

My Syncro went on my 197 box, ive had a 200 box put in it now (wasnt under warrenty), and even now when that is cold it is a bit clunky. Once its warm its fine, thankfully.
You do need to look after the gear box on these models. Going from doing 50 in 6th and pushing it into 3rd to beat some chav thats trying to have a go, can somtimes do more damage than its worth.

Had my gear box changed under warranty this week. Any gear into 4th was a painful event. Having to throttle back, adjust revs or doubling the clutch to change gear on a sports hatch is a joke. Thats what they are designed for.
I was waiting for Renault to spout some rubbish like 'worn clutch', to break a gear box! but, fair play, they asked no questons and replaced.

Looks like I'll be needing a new gearbox coz this morning everytime I selected 4th gear the crunch was sickening. Happens with clutch fully depressed and at any road speed and doing slow and fast shifts. Plus about three weeks ago to present it has been really hard to select 1st gear. I guess it's all related.

Had the clio 200 since March and it's been fine up until now although the box has always been a bit notchy - have done 12,700 miles.

Just booked it in for a check up a week today so will see what they say. Dreading leaving the car with them wondering how they'll treat it on a test drive.

ive noticed with my car that if you hold the gear stick and accelerate you can feel the stick move forward then back, by the looks of it the engine mounts are really soft im sure this wouldnt help with accurate gear shifts and would make it feel notchy. i aint even done 1000 miles!!

probably completly off topic lol

Had a new gear box fitted after owning the car 3 weeks lol wouldnt go in 1st or reverse and clunked in 2nd and crunched in 3rd so had no problem with the dealers fitted a new one straight away

ive noticed with my car that if you hold the gear stick and accelerate you can feel the stick move forward then back, by the looks of it the engine mounts are really soft im sure this wouldnt help with accurate gear shifts and would make it feel notchy. i aint even done 1000 miles!!

probably completly off topic lol

Mine does this too but I think it's normal as I remember this happening on other cars I've owned.

Mine takes quite a few attempts of really hard pushing to get it into 1st when it's cold! I just put it down to the cold weather. Has anyone else had this problem?