Talk to me about Belts

Jordanfaf

Winner - POTM November 2017, January 2018
Right, my aux belt has started squealing a lot on start up in the last few months. The noise subsides when the car heats up. Visibly I dont know how to tell a worn belt but it's showing 2 sliver/metallic lines along it (normal or not?)

Belts were done with genuine Renault parts in oct 2013. So arnt due til late 2018, I'd assume they arnt worn already? . Cars done about 40k kms since.

What's the problem that could be causing the squeal. I thought these cars had automatic tensioners so it wouldn't be loose surely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

need to make sure the belt is central on the crank/alternator pulleys - some can be a rib out of line...

dont run it too much if its making a noise as if the belt is faulty it can shred and get dragged in to the timing cover and jump the timing and hence bend valves!

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
Whilst cambelts are 6 years / 72k miles. I believe the Aux belt is recommended to be changed intermittently between cambelt changes. Or at least wouldn't it be prudent too..........?

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
How much does the aux belt cost to replace does anyone know?

How much does the aux belt cost to replace does anyone know?

in the grand scheme of things not a lot as they do a kit - belt & tensioner - theres even a "how to" in here i think

there-if youll need part numbers. http://www.clio197.net/threads/cambelt-service-part-numbers-in.54105/

i would recommend change them all (As listed in my thread) if you havent done the cambelt service ,except from that "Cam seals(the other side)-7701477180"(unless it leaks so replace them too )
*dont drag it till 6years at all..

iirc 197 are 5years 200 are 6years according to rn's but its funny since they are the same.
But i say it should be done under 5years and in hot countries maybe even sooner

Last edited:
there-if youll need part numbers. http://www.clio197.net/threads/cambelt-service-part-numbers-in.54105/

i would recommend change them all (As listed in my thread) if you havent done the cambelt service ,except from that "Cam seals(the other side)-7701477180"(unless it leaks so replace them too )
*dont drag it till 6years at all..

iirc 197 are 5years 200 are 6years according to rn's but its funny since they are the same.
But i say it should be done under 5years and in hot countries maybe even sooner
Thanks man!

I always thought the 197 was 5 years. Current belts have been in just about 3 years. And only 40000kms (if even) of their 120000 km life.
Had planned to get them changed before this summer but may be selling before then to go to Canada for a few months so won't rush into changing them just yet.

Gonna drop it in to have the aux belt checked in case its just misaligned.
Dephaser pulley isn't making any noise yet either so I assume that was changed in October 2013 also.
Trying to hunt down the owner at the time to ask him.

Your welcome .
The "life time" is 90km not 120 in these cars(for these specific parts) .
You should check with the owner what exactly been done and when so you can decide what to do and what not to - but check those belts now dont neglect it .

apparently i was wrong about the life time -72k x1.6 = 115(so yeah about 120) sorry about that.:oops:
anyhow i still recommend to replace it earlier than that.

68e55c7df1fced72680a5f4e2c6734b0.jpg

There is a picture of the belt, didn't notice any misalignment on the alternator or idler wheel I can see.

The noise stopped with a small spray of water and didn't return for the whole drive (it's normally stopped when the engine heats anyway)

wonder if the tensioner is a bit iffy - it doenst look quite in line on that picture (the centre part of belt not shiney)

need to get a spanner on the tensioner and drop the belt off

Right best get it seen to ASAP. Thanks again guys