Taking my car into renault on monday about steering wheel!

Hello Everyone

After reading another thread about the steering wheel problems i am taking my car in monday to see if they will offer to replace it due to melting!

Both the people i spoke to at renault customer services and the garage had not heard of it before, and my car is slightly out of warrenty (ended in january)

They are going to take some pictures and then decide if they will offer to swap it or pay half the cost for me.

I almost bought a new one off ebay, then i saw on the official accessories site that they are only £150 from Renault!

How has everyone else that has attempted this got on ?

i dont know about this. melting steering wheel? is it something to do with the sweat on ure hands? if ure car is outa warrenty they wont entertain u i can assure u that.

Well there is a thread on here about it, thats where i got the idea to have a go, i told them i didn't think it was acceptable after only 20k miles, and that i would settle for going halves on the replacement cost.

Are they actually only £150 from Renault ? i expected them to be more really

Worth a try i think

had mine done under warranty
you wont get one from renault for £150 mate
jase is selling one £150:thumbsup:

I had my car in at Bishopbriggs Renault on wednesday there mate and got my steering wheel (melting) and gearbox (crunching) replaced under warrenty

Seems to be a common problem. Hasn't happened to mine yet (touch wood). Quite a few have ahd them replaced under warrenty, but being as yours is out of warrenty I doubt very much they'll offer anything! Lol They try and worm their way out of warrenty claims when the car is still within the period! Lol! Good luck! You could probably have it retrimmed for a bit cheaper, might be worth investigating all avenues first.

Took it in yesterday, managed to get tottaly lost in doncaster lol..

She said some people had had joy, others had not, but thinks the mileage might swing it for me (only 20k)

Priced some parts up as well

Mines being done today.
Out of waranty it can still be done as the law states: sales of goods act and others, it must be of quality and able to, etc ect up to 6 years.
One of our clios had a head rebuilt after a cam belt failed at 40,000miles change due at 72K .The car was over 4 years but old with full RSH and bought from a Renault dealers, they payed the whole bill of over £900.
Most car companies will do out of waranty claims and meet some or all of the cost .
Just know the law and buy from a main dealer and keep the servicing bang up to date.
record all phone calls (tell them this) and keep all documents /letters)

I don't quite understand what happened - can you post some pics of the wheel?

picture.php

yeah, anymore of you that have pics if you could post them it would be a big help. Our 197 wheel feels rough on one side and I didn't know if it was ths.

Im thinking about getting a 197 wheel fitted to the 182 as it looks great and the 182's wheel has started melting and bits are coming of it

The same happend to me last week.:001_unsure: On left side of the steering wheel, quarter to 12 position. Directly under my palm. It is much worse than on photos posted by Pinkorsting above. Car is out of warranty last November. Do you think there is any chance to claim this failure if they know, that this problem exists and is probably caused due to production failure?
I am really not going to buy new steering wheel. It is second defect on my car shortly after the end of the warranty. Firstly, my air-condition compressor broke down on April. Repair for almost 1.000 EUR. Now this... I am really frustrated with the quality :confused1: If anybody who claimed this successfuly after the end of the warranty is here, I will be very greatful for any information what to do and how to solve it with the Renault dealer or importer. Thanks very much!