Tablet advice

Hi Guys,

Thinking that I might jump into the 21st Century and get myself a tablet. Wanted one for a while and for just popping on the forum, watching films whilst away and generally dicking about on.

Just wondered what experiences people had with them? I kind of wanted an acer transformer style with detachable keyboard but after using my mates ipad 2, thinking that this might be the better choice with it's simplicity and mainstream ecosystem.

I don't want a windows 8/RT tablet due to having a windows phone 8 so was torn between the iconic iPad with iOS or the rapidly growing android...

Any help would be appreciated :thumbup1:

I hate anything Apple, but I won an iPad 2 32GB from work, and I love it.

Truth be known, i'd never fork out that kind of money for one though, Android is so much better!

I recently had to fix a mates Samsung Galaxy tab 2 an my god its a crap system to fix if modding goes wrong like his did.

Having said that if you leave the os you should be ok but for me it's apple all the way.

Jailbreaking is simple nowadays to open the OS up to mods.

Have a look at the iPad mini as well, same build quality and ecosystem, screen size not much smaller.....but half the weight. I have an iPad 3 which is great, but I do find it a bit heavy, may change down to the mini myself next time.

Had various tablets over the past couple years, nothing comes close to the ipad mini. It's a perfect size/weight/power compromise.

One of my sisters has a nexus 7, it's good...but I find it too small - it's almost like a big phone. My other sister has a galaxy tab 2, again very good but it's just not as user friendly as an ipad.

If your going iPad though I'd hold of buying now as its highly likely a new one will be out soon.

To be honest if I were to get an iPad it would be the iPad 2 (if the price was drastically cheaper) as don't really need the retina display.

It seems that apple are getting quite a good reception here and after playing with a nexus I don't think that android in a tablet for is really for me...

Might have a bash on an ipad mini, but I think to have a tablet it would need to be a fair bit larger than my phone. A full Ipad size screen would probably be better for the casual web surfing. Thanks to everyone for their advice :smile:

I don't want to be biased (I work in a Apple shop) but....

iPad's are the best at what they do. I don't see any tablets do anything that they can do better. Get a iPad 4 with Retina screen for £399 brand new and you can get very good detachable keyboards for about £80.
The 4 is only £70 more than the 2 and your get a camera that is 5 times better, double the resolution and twice as powerful and more future proof.

Or go for cheaper, get yourself a iPad mini for £269 and a detachable keyboard for £70 and get yourself Pages for £6.99 and then you can work on Microsoft Word documents etc.

Played on two ipads today and the retina display is definitely an improvement, the camera feature however probably wouldn't interest me that much. The front camera would be used for skype/facetime etc but the the rear facing wouldn't get used that much.

My Sales Director (Yank) has asked if he wanted me to buy one and bring it back for me as with the current exchange it will work out about 100 quid, maybe more!

Anyone know if the US iPads are any different/have any issues working over here? (I think I've pretty much made my mind up on what I'm getting lol)

Anyone know if the US iPads are any different/have any issues working over here? (I think I've pretty much made my mind up on what I'm getting lol)

the internals are almost identical. the only time u will usually get problems is if you get a cellular one (with SIM card). Most ppl walking who have brought "bargain" iPad have actually brought iPad shipped over from China or Hon Kong etc.

For me ipad is way overpriced for what it is and what it does (iphone user here). And the layout is so boring now...

Sony is releasing a new tablet, Xperia Z, great hardware, much lighter and thinner than the ipad (ipad is heavy), elegant design and waterproof. And it is android so you can do anything as opposed to the frustrating ipad!! I had a big iphone (oh sorry, ipad) and sold it after 2 months (I don't know why it took me so long).

It's not a brainer really, ipads (and iphones) are so outdated.

(And no, I don't work for Sony lol)

I'm seriously hung up on Nexus Devices now. Android how it's meant to be without manufacturer bull****. I keep looking at the Nexus 10, which is essentially a galaxy tab 2 but how Google want it, not how Samsung want to make it look.

I work in the new Apple store in Sutton Coldfield. Well its called Stormfront, but its the biggest franchise of Apple in the world and do everything that Apple does except the iPhone. Yet.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bucko Clio 200 Area 9
H Clio 200 Area 0
19Zen Interior and Audio 0
M General Chat 2
W General Chat 1