Subframe Rot

jimfacebinface

Paid Member
Hi everyone,

Not sure if I'm writing in the correct section but I'm sure a mod could move it...

Anyway, my car is having a service at a local garage (a family friend) and while up on the ramp, he noticed the front subframe has rotton and is falling into bits. He showed me and I was surprised as I haven't seen anyone else mention it. It is not the main part however, but a small lip that sits parallel to the plastic under tray and it is just the lip that has totally gone. He reckons on the whole it is structurally sound, but I wondered if anyone else has had the same and if they have done anything about it. Is it worth doing something about it, if it is not going to cause any drama?

James

Last edited:
Never heard of rot but not much experience in anything like that.

Id have thought something as structural of that would be weakened by rot but if your mechanic said its fine. Try a body shop or a renault dealer?

If its the lower cross member then it is an integral part of the cars structural rigidity. [MENTION=29]foxspeed[/MENTION] would be able to tell you if it needs replacing but personally id want to replace it.

Doesn't sound good though that is actually suffered corrosion. I'm sure Renault have a longer corrosion warranty than just the 3 years on the car.

It's pretty badly rusted, but weirdly just the lip. Once I get my car back down south (as I'm up in the NE right now) I'll get someone to have a look.

Mine has a small amount of rust on the lip but nothing major. Its because the lip is made of 2 sandwiched panels by the looks of it probably spot welded together and moistures got in between the 2.

Wouldn't take a lot of effort to give this a quick rub down / paint and seam sealer to slow this rust down considerably.

I was thinking that mate, if I can get under easy enough at the weekend, I could Hammerite the s**t out of it. Sounds like the same thing though, I did notice it was pretty flimsy to begin with so when he said it wouldn't affect the rigidity, I was inclined to agree

I was thinking that mate, if I can get under easy enough at the weekend, I could Hammerite the s**t out of it. Sounds like the same thing though, I did notice it was pretty flimsy to begin with so when he said it wouldn't affect the rigidity, I was inclined to agree

do that clean it up and paint it - as long as its not the box section rotted through should be ok

Has it been damaged at some point and hammered straight? that'd not help if it broke the paint and then rusted.